Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Return to the Blue Ridge Parkway

The BRP is a national treasure. I have ridden every mile of the parkway, but never all in one trip. The narrative, videos, and pics did an excellent job of depicting the riding experience on the parkway. I hope to do an end to end trip someday.

What I am most impressed with, is how well the National Park Service has been able to preserve the sense of soltitude you get when riding along the parkway.
    This has been a challenge I'm sure, since there a few places where encroaching civilization is just a few hundred feet from the roadway.

Another enjoyable ride report, thanks for putting it together, Terence!

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    When's that? I have family in Atlanta.
    End of April/beginning of May. One of the best rallies I've been to. Spent some time with Dr. Curve at Deal's Gap
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    In retrospect, I probably should've gone a little further each day, but I wanted to camp on the Parkway and sometimes the spacing to the next campground didn't seem quite right, and I really don't like setting up in the dark. If it works, I prefer to ride as much as I can each day, but this time of year, I generally stop around 4 or 5 to have time to take my time to setting up and eat before it need a headlamp to see. I like to ride as much as possible so when I stop early, I prefer riding more than sitting in camp.
    I have done the Parkway as a round trip twice. If you do the Parkway again, consider starting at the opposite end if you don't have time to do a round trip. The ride and scenery is very different when you do it from the opposite direction. My least favorite part of the Parkway is around Roanoke, Va where civilization has intruded.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    My least favorite part of the Parkway is around Roanoke, Va where civilization has intruded.
    Completely agree.

NC is more scenic but more crowded, though during the week wasn't bad. I was rarely held up by cars and probably only passed cars twice. I also really liked the first 100 miles or so in VA as a lot of that is through National Forest.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Excellent! It is a beautiful ride, isn't it?

Too bad you had to contend with such heavy traffic.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Quote Originally Posted by bobs98 View Post
    Too bad you had to contend with such heavy traffic.
    Terence

Great Report! Thanks for posting. I just completed a trip that included the Tail of the Dragon and the Devil's Triangle. The highlight was 100 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway around Asheville NC. You can have all the rest, just give me more of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Great report and thanks for posting it! I remember riding the Skyline Drive way back during college, and would love to ride that and the BRP sometime. Maybe in the spring for the RA Rally down in Ashwville? Beautiful pics.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Your pictures only serve to whet the appetite. My wife and I planned to take a two motorcycle, round trip along the BRP in September of this year. However, as expenses began to mount with sending my daughter to college, funding for the trip dwindled. To truely enjoy the trip we decided to postpone the BPR trip until September of 2014. The logistical planning is already completed so it should be easy to resurrect the trip.

Before anyone asks why 2014 and not 2013 -- we can't go in 2013 as all vacation funding is going toward a 30 year wedding anniversary cruise that year. Just like the BRP, we've never been on a cruise either.
    Last edited by Artiee; 10-17-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Helmet cam...

Terence,

I am hoping that you can share what your camera setup was for your vimeo video and maybe post a photo of the camera mounted to your helmet! I loved your video and have never had that kind of success with my gopro camera setup.
    -Steve
    2012 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metalic - 2009 Gillera Fucco

Great ride report.

Thanks for the videos E/W music.
    Love the bike too. The earlier Ks had nicer bars and gauges; IMHO.
    Next time visit Little Switzerland Inn and say hi to the owner, Gary.
    He's a rider and a great guy. My wife and I were headed home to Florida
    from there about the time you passed.

Nice report -

I rode the length of the Parkway back around 1978 or so - great pictures in your report!

Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by PianomanLA View Post
    Terence,

I am hoping that you can share what your camera setup was for your vimeo video and maybe post a photo of the camera mounted to your helmet! I loved your video and have never had that kind of success with my gopro camera setup.
    Steve,
    Here's how the camera is mounted to my helmet. I use the standard settings and haven't really messed around with them. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it's in video mode with r4 resolution, which is default. PM me if you have questions and maybe I can help.

Terence

Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    Your pictures only serve to whet the appetite. My wife and I planned to take a two motorcycle, round trip along the BRP in September of this year. However, as expenses began to mount with sending my daughter to college, funding for the trip dwindled. To truely enjoy the trip we decided to postpone the BPR trip until September of 2014. The logistical planning is already completed so it should be easy to resurrect the trip.

Before anyone asks why 2014 and not 2013 -- we can't go in 2013 as all vacation funding is going toward a 30 year wedding anniversary cruise that year. Just like the BRP, we've never been on a cruise either.
    Last summer when I retired, I was also paid lump sum for my unused vacation time. We had already decided on a trip "somewhere" with some of the money. Then one day (before we even had the check or I actually retired) Donna comes to me and says "I decided for your retirement trip you need to plan us a trip on the whole length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and I want us to take our time." So last September we did just that. I think I'll keep her!
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

I am inspired by your tale. I ve wanted to ride the whole length in one trip and have never been able to make it happen. Reaeing this has me planning for next spring. Thanks for the push.