Thread: Wiring a Zumo 660 to my 09 R1200RT

Wiring a Zumo 660 to my 09 R1200RT

Tried to use the the search function to no avail. My 660 is on its way. I picked up The pigtail from BMW to plug into the factory GPS plug. Problem is, the three wires on the pigtail are not marked. How do I determ what wires go where on the cradle. I was told one of the wires does not get used.

I know others have done this. Please help

Is this what you are looking for? Personally, instead of chopping up the 660 harness that comes with the unit, I would connect it directly to the battery. That is what I did on my '10 GSA.

J2 Pin 1 - GROUND
    J2 Pin 2 - sense (Canbus, not needed)
    J2 Pin3 - +12V
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Ed Kilner #176066

Great Reply

Jim, you did a fine job with that annotated photo. It should be a model for all of us when supplying info.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Jim, Thank you for the info. I am rethinking using the plug supplied by BMW. Not sure what the advantage is using the the plug other than the power does not cut off immediately when i kill the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by tf78933 View Post
    Tried to use the the search function to no avail. My 660 is on its way. I picked up The pigtail from BMW to plug into the factory GPS plug. Problem is, the three wires on the pigtail are not marked. How do I determ what wires go where on the cradle. I was told one of the wires does not get used.

I know others have done this. Please help
    The wires on the BMW plug are marked. There are microscopic black ink smudges on them that if viewed closely tell you the polarity. The centre wire is the one that doesn't get used.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Jim, you did a fine job with that annotated photo. It should be a model for all of us when supplying info.
    Wish I could take the credit, but alas--I found this on the net last year. Don't remember where but most likely on the Zumo or ADVRider forum.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Hmmm...

If I'd read this yesterday I could have taken photos of the entire process.. Works fine. Connector was about $25, and beats bodging back to the fuse block under the seat that I installed.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    The wires on the BMW plug are marked. There are microscopic black ink smudges on them that if viewed closely tell you the polarity. The centre wire is the one that doesn't get used.
    Dave, I did find the symbols however because I am electronically challenged, I do not know what the symbols mean. One looks like an M or W, the other kind of like a T with a tail. I am going to try to find a skematic somewhere on here to try to figure it out, but I could use some help.

Quote Originally Posted by tf78933 View Post
    Dave, I did find the symbols however because I am electronically challenged, I do not know what the symbols mean. One looks like an M or W, the other kind of like a T with a tail. I am going to try to find a skematic somewhere on here to try to figure it out, but I could use some help.
    I went through some old files and found something I lifted off the 'net.

The markings should be numbers 1, 2 and 3.

#1 is ground, #2 is autospeed/volume (only used with OEM GPS) and #3 is +12 volts. I wired mine up this way and it works fine.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    I went through some old files and found something I lifted off the 'net.

The markings should be numbers 1, 2 and 3.

#1 is ground, #2 is autospeed/volume (only used with OEM GPS) and #3 is +12 volts. I wired mine up this way and it works fine.
    Thanks for the quick responce. I do see a 1, 2, and 3. I think I got it from here. thanks for the help