Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone had experience with BG products for your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I agree. I don't change oil because it is worn out, I change it because it gets dirty. I don't think it makes much difference what the dirt is floating around in. Like someone said long ago here regarding oil "any oil is better than no oil and clean oil is better than dirty oil".
    Actually in the 21st century some of this is no longer true.

Once the cleaning additives have done their job and suspended whatever "dirt" there was, the oil itself becomes a better lubricant. Constantly changing the oil at shorter-than-recommended intervals means you've always got poorer lubricating oil in there.

This of course applies to the synthetics designed for long intervals and not for ancient formula (but ultimately more expensive) dino oils.

http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Actually in the 21st century some of this is no longer true.

Once the cleaning additives have done their job and suspended whatever "dirt" there was, the oil itself becomes a better lubricant. Constantly changing the oil at shorter-than-recommended intervals means you've always got poorer lubricating oil in there.

This of course applies to the synthetics designed for long intervals and not for ancient formula (but ultimately more expensive) dino oils.

http://papers.sae.org/2007-01-4133/
    This should never be done unless your actually doing an oil analysis frequently after the recommended drain interval. Not all oils are created equally and some barely make it to the manufacturer drain interval. I do a lot of work with Automotive, Commercial and Industrial customers that are on a preventative maintenance program which uses oil analysis to determine actual drain intervals on individual vehicles. It's not always just about viscosity, "dirt" "crud" and color. You can have a a fleet of 10 identical vehicles and each one can have different results on oil analysis when using the same oil and filters. Everything from slightly different tolerances, environmental (i.e. dusty environment, operating temp, load, idle time etc.)

I'm going to try to attach a sample from a customers Ford pickup with a Powerstroke. I have also performed some analysis for the BMW dealership for guys who ride a lot of mile and do Iron Butts and are always running 12,000 - 15,000 miles drains. They typically are using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50. It is very impressive to see what the report looks like on those bikes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

dirty oil

Dirty oil is actually a good sign that your oil is working,the detergents in the oil are doing a good job at keeping carbon and contaminants from your engine note that keeping the oil and filter changed and adding the bg moa,no pun intended,definitely helps

Quote Originally Posted by rhood1960 View Post
    Dirty oil is actually a good sign that your oil is working,the detergents in the oil are doing a good job at keeping carbon and contaminants from your engine note that keeping the oil and filter changed and adding the bg moa,no pun intended,definitely helps
    Adding BG MOA will not do any good if your using a quality oil that meets the specification. In fact if you ad BG MOA or any oil additive it actually alter the properly balanced oil formulation. For example: adding an oil additive to a Mobil 1, Valvoline Syn Pwr, Pennzoil Platnium or a product like Ams Oil and Royal Purple you just made a great oil into a mediocre oil.

There is absolutely no need to ad an oil additive to just about any oil that had the API starburst on it. Some of their products can enhance or help a system but the oil is a joke and marketing ploy to make BG and the installers more money. Service Writers and dealers get spiffed (given cash) to promote and sell products like BG, Valvoline VPS, MOC, Wynns. Usually the Service Writer and Technician get $5-$10 for adding 1 item. When they sell you a trans flush, coolant flush, power steering flush, brake system flush it all adds margin to the dealer parts dept, service dept and lines the pockets with cash.

The biggest benefit to the consumer for using these services is that they actually get a parts and labor warranty along with performing the services. If you perform a transmission flush before 36,000 miles and perform it every 36,000 miles after that you have up to a $4,000 parts and labor coverage after the manufacturers warranty runs out. This is like buying an extended warranty for each major component of your vehicle. To keep the warranty you HAVE to perform the service on the recommended intervals published by the chemical supplier.

For our motorcycles you will not have any coverage by using these products. However if you use a major oil product like Mobil, Valvoline, Shell/Pennzoil and have service records or receipts you will have assistance from the oil company if you actually have an oil related failure. For the record most failures are not oil related unless you put in the wrong oil in the first place. Most failures are due to mechanical design flaws or other catastrophic failures. Changing you oil as recommended with a quality product is all you need to do.

It amazing how passionate people get over oil and recommendations. The response of forum members that see them come and go says it all. I also sell Service Chemicals and refuse to sell any kind of "Motor Oil Additive". Why pay $20-25 per gallon for a high quality synthetic and ruin it with an additive?
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    With all the bloviating about oil and additives, I am amazed that no one has mentioned BG 44K fuel system cleaner, since the original question concerned BG products in general. Best darned injector cleaner I ever used in 25 years wrenching cars. I'll bet it works great on Motronic EFI but I haven't needed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    With all the bloviating about oil and additives, I am amazed that no one has mentioned BG 44K fuel system cleaner, since the original question concerned BG products in general. Best darned injector cleaner I ever used in 25 years wrenching cars. I'll bet it works great on Motronic EFI but I haven't needed it yet.
    The 44K is an excellent product and works as described. It doesn't try to be something it's not.
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    A bit treating the symptom rather than the disease. Top tier fuel is available.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S