Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: I give up...

  1. #1
    Morning Person
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    218

    I give up...

    Replaced stock windscreen with Ztechnik VStream 16", hoping for wind noise relief. What I got was: Different wind noise (loud), reduced chest pressure (meaning more work for me to stay upright), and negative handling effects from larger windscreen surface area. Not the VStream's fault...just saying what I experienced. Love the look of the screen, but the stock screen went back on.

    When I say "I give up"...I mean, there probably is no good wind noise solution for this bike other than ear plugs.

    Anyone have a good solution that doesn't involve a large windscreen?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    vancouver ,wa
    Posts
    109
    Madstead windshied or aroflow, are the best for the F800ST, but ear plugs a must.

  3. #3
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,533
    Cee Bailey is also a good choice...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,424
    and regardless of which screen you decide on, ear plugs are a wise chioce. unless you don't care about your hearing, in which case.... whoosh on.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Anyone have a good solution that doesn't involve a large windscreen?
    Over the years I've experimented with lots of after-market and OEM windscreens ... some larger, some smaller, some more upright, some more swoopy, the Laminar Lip, some just plain weird windscreens ... all in attempts to get a quieter, better ride. These searches were on a variety of different bikes. Bottom line for me: I always went back to the stock screen as being the best overall for me. I figure the manufacturers spend a fair amount of wind-tunnel time getting the "right" windscreen on their bikes, and as far as I'm concerned, they get it about right ... for me, at least. Your results will vary.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  6. #6
    Long Range Rifleman
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Replaced stock windscreen with Ztechnik VStream 16", hoping for wind noise relief. What I got was: Different wind noise (loud), reduced chest pressure (meaning more work for me to stay upright), and negative handling effects from larger windscreen surface area. Not the VStream's fault...just saying what I experienced. Love the look of the screen, but the stock screen went back on.

    When I say "I give up"...I mean, there probably is no good wind noise solution for this bike other than ear plugs.

    Anyone have a good solution that doesn't involve a large windscreen?
    What type of helmet are you wearing? I just dumped my modular and went back to my old full face and the wind noise is cut in half. It has a noticeably thinner profile and fewer joints to create air leaks.

    I thought a modular would be great but for me, not so much. The wind roar, even with custom molded shooting ear plugs, wears me out.

    I'll be going back to a 3/4 open face with a bill type visor come warmer weather.

    Screw these echo chambers posing as helmets.

    I'm just wondering if I will still be allowed to ride my Beemer if I don't wear a full face helmet?

  7. #7
    Registered User middleagecrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    31

    I give up...

    Hey Flyrider.
    I have a ZTechnik on my 2007 F800st and I'm pretty happy with it. However I have the touring model Z2431 which is 19" tall and 17" wide, wear a HJC CL-16 helmet and I still wear ear plugs. It is much better than the stock windscreen I.M.O. but still have some, not much, wind buffeting on the top of my helmet but the noise is less. The bad news is that you may have to keep buying to see what works.....the good news is that there is always E-Bay to sell what doesn't work.

  8. #8
    Morning Person
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Over the years I've experimented with lots of after-market and OEM windscreens ... some larger, some smaller, some more upright, some more swoopy, the Laminar Lip, some just plain weird windscreens ... all in attempts to get a quieter, better ride. These searches were on a variety of different bikes. Bottom line for me: I always went back to the stock screen as being the best overall for me. I figure the manufacturers spend a fair amount of wind-tunnel time getting the "right" windscreen on their bikes, and as far as I'm concerned, they get it about right ... for me, at least. Your results will vary.
    EXACTLY the conclusion I came to. Stock screen is tolerable and with my earplugs, the ride is fine.

  9. #9
    Morning Person
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    What type of helmet are you wearing? I just dumped my modular and went back to my old full face and the wind noise is cut in half. It has a noticeably thinner profile and fewer joints to create air leaks.

    I thought a modular would be great but for me, not so much. The wind roar, even with custom molded shooting ear plugs, wears me out.

    I'll be going back to a 3/4 open face with a bill type visor come warmer weather.

    Screw these echo chambers posing as helmets.

    I'm just wondering if I will still be allowed to ride my Beemer if I don't wear a full face helmet?
    Shoei Multiec. Noise isn't from the helmet construction...it comes in at the base of the helmet in the rear...vortex turbulence. If I shrug my shoulders I can block it, but that is a short term fix. However, with my earplugs installed, I rode 100 miles at 50-80 mph in the canyon/mountain route today, and it was fine. Did I hear wind? Yes. Was it intolerable? No. In fact, it was a hell of a great ride. Stock windscreen on bike. VStream back in the box. May sell it...or cut it down.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maryland.
    Posts
    149
    2 things cause wind noise: helmet fit, and exposure. For example, with helmets most fit too big. I have a long oval head at 23 inches. Both Arai's signet q and shoie's qwest size me for a large. But, with an oval head, I have 1/4 - 1/2 of space open on the sides. Wind gets in my ears from these gaps. A medium will fit my head snugger but causes pain in the temple after 5 minutes. I purchased a 22" wind screen from baileys and it works great lowering the wind exposure my 6'5" body gets on my RT. On calm days, I can ride comfortably without ear plugs for about 45 minutes at 65 mph. But, as high winds increase with weather or speeding wind exposure increases. In my opinion a custom fit full face helmet would reduce most the wind noise issues people report.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Breukelyn
    Posts
    6
    I have a Laminar Lip on my F650GS SE (come with stock F800GS mid height windscreen).

    Works well, adjustable position, excellent craftsmanship, reasonable price. Have had it for 8,000 miles, all speeds on and off road.

    Very stable in high cross winds and when passing semis too.

    Windshield effeciveness is dependent on many factors and no two riders will have the same outcome. Body position, height, speed, helmet shape all affect the airstream so unfortunately it's very difficult to make good pre-purchase comparisons.

  12. #12
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,769
    The solution for motoring down a highway without need for earplugs is ... a car.

    Best even then that you keep the windows rolled up.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  13. #13
    Soleman bmwchromehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    8,678

    Smile

    I have a Madstad with the wings and it's quieter than my RT. I've even rode with my flip up open at 80 and could still enjoy my music. The wings are what create a GIANT dead air spot. I highly recomend this combination. Requires some tweaking in the installation to get the angle just right but it did not take more than a hour to straighten out that situation. Best shield I've ever owned and I've been riding for over 45 years.
    In the end, you will regret much more those things you didn't do, than those which you did.

  14. #14
    On the road to nowhere aphillips66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    62

    word

    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    The solution for motoring down a highway without need for earplugs is ... a car.

    Best even then that you keep the windows rolled up.
    Ain't it the truth? After all, we're riding motorcycles. Of course there will be wind noise.

    Max the Motorcycle children's book written by my wife.

  15. #15
    Registered User David13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lomita, California
    Posts
    765
    Do you go to the gun range without ear protection? No. In fact, most ranges won't even let you out there without ear protection.
    Should you ride ANY motorcycle with ear protection? Yes.
    There is too much noise out there and it ain't no good for your long term hearing. As you get older, you go deaf.
    Now as to the noise on the 800. I always used ear protection and the stock screen.
    I found it to be just fine.
    However, when I wanted less wind, and more comfort, and all that, I sold the 800 and went to the RT.
    A wise idea.
    dc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •