Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I give up...

On the road to nowhere aphillips66's Avatar

GSA - calm air

I'm very fortunate that on my 1200GSA, there's a beautiful pocket of calm air behind the windscreen at any speed. I don't know if it's my height, etc., but it works perfectly. If I flip up my helmet visor, there is barely any wind in my eyes. Wind noise is minimal. This is with the stock Adventure windscreen.

However, I'm making plans to get an F800GS instead. My days of pleasant contentment in the air might be numbered.

I made my comment earlier because one of my riding pals is on an endless quest to cure his wind troubles. It seems he fails to understand that there will always be some wind while riding a motorcycle. I liked the car analogy because it would fit for this guy.
    Max the Motorcycle children's book written by my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by aphillips66 View Post
    I'm very fortunate that on my 1200GSA, there's a beautiful pocket of calm air behind the windscreen at any speed. I don't know if it's my height, etc., but it works perfectly. If I flip up my helmet visor, there is barely any wind in my eyes. Wind noise is minimal. This is with the stock Adventure windscreen.

However, I'm making plans to get an F800GS instead. My days of pleasant contentment in the air might be numbered.

I made my comment earlier because one of my riding pals is on an endless quest to cure his wind troubles. It seems he fails to understand that there will always be some wind while riding a motorcycle. I liked the car analogy because it would fit for this guy.
    Now is the time to take several measurements on your GS. For starters:

1. Seat where your butt sits vertical to top of windshield.
    2. Horizontal distance from your face to the top of the windshield.
    3. Width of the windshield.
    4. Angle from vertical of the face of the windshield.
    5. Radius of side-side curvature of the windshield.

Then when you get your F800 you have the baseline dimensions of an air pocket that is perfect for you. To fit a new shield to the 800 you try to find a shield that matches those dimensions.

One tricky part is the height of the shield because they describe their height as top-to-bottom irrespective of how high it mounts on the bike. Another is how forward or aft the mounting point actually is relative to where you sit. Take a look at the Parabellum shield and mounts for the F650 (single) Dakar and ask yourself why they mounted it that way, way forward.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

When I was 20 I didn't care about wind noise or how loud my helmet was. Maybe that's the solution - maybe we all just need to go be 20 again
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

cheap way to get a taller screen

Some years ago I had a cut-down "tall" Aeroscreen on my K75. No buffeting, but wondered if a bit taller screen would keep those bugs off my face shield. Decided to duct tape a piece of cardboard to the top of the screen, two inches taller but same shape.

Turns out it worked perfectly, and I didn't like it. Well, the taller screen might have been great in cold weather, but in the summer I decided that dead air around my head was just too hot.

If you think a taller screen might be the ticket to happiness, duct tape and fairly stiff cardboard is a very cheap way to experiment to find the perfect height.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post

If you think a taller screen might be the ticket to happiness, duct tape and fairly stiff cardboard is a very cheap way to experiment to find the perfect height.
    I like the way you think ..............
    The neighbors all think I'm a nut-job as it is so no problems there with me riding around with a hunk of a "Florida Oranges" box on the front of my bike ...

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Some years ago I had a cut-down "tall" Aeroscreen on my K75. No buffeting, but wondered if a bit taller screen would keep those bugs off my face shield. Decided to duct tape a piece of cardboard to the top of the screen, two inches taller but same shape.

Turns out it worked perfectly, and I didn't like it. Well, the taller screen might have been great in cold weather, but in the summer I decided that dead air around my head was just too hot.

My buddy, who rides a K75 and has changed almost everything on it several times, tapes short pieces of string to the edges of his windshield(s) and rides around for several days, trying to figure out the wind patterns around the windshield. This somehow informs him where to make his next cut or drill his next hole. I think he's nuts, but he insists it works.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Cool

I started with a Touratech Desierto 3 fairing, which helped quite a lot with wind, noise and everything flying. This weekend I needed to purchase a helmet to ride my bike home (long story) and I purchased a Schuberth C3. After a two hour ride with my C3, I am very happy I bought it. The combination of the Desierto 3 and C3 have reduced the noise while I ride, I have had to turn the volume down a lot on my Sena SMH10 BT headset. Each helps a lot, but together, it is awesome! :-)

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...win-up-to-2012

http://www.schuberthnorthamerica.com...motorcycle/c3/

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

Quote Originally Posted by runnr548 View Post
    ... and I purchased a Schuberth C3. After a two hour ride with my C3, I am very happy I bought it...[/url]
    Just bought my first Schuberth (also the C3) and I must agree with you. I bought it because of its reputed quietness, and it is exactly that. The quietest helmet I've owned. Just wish it wasn't so doggone expensive!
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Slight thread-hijack:

What is the typical street price for the C3 helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob59 View Post
    Slight thread-hijack:

Typically about $700.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob59 View Post
    Slight thread-hijack:

Don't know what the "street price" is, since I didn't buy mine on the street. Didn't realize they were sold on the street. I bought mine from a dealer for $600 and change; the sticker price was $700.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST