Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another RT Final Drive Bites the Dust '07 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    The dealers say the final drive on my 2008 rt is not a serviceable unit. I'm not defending that statement, but that is what they are saying.

Supposedly, tools are not available.
    same unit, only change was the drain plug location in the 07 -'08 timeline...some shops do not have the tools...when the drive first came out our local did not either.
    The bearing is "only" about $120 , A complete new unit is quoted at $1900 as mentioned.
    The biggest issue is getting the spider off the spline...some here have heated it and not needed any special tools

Wonder if they were saying the damage made it not serviceable? Still fuzzy
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    Lastly I learned that my AAA RV Plus only covers 100 miles of towing. AAA took me closer, my brother took me even closer, then my bride picked me up. I need a better towing plan, but can't find anything better. ...
    Checkout the Allstate RV Club. $99/year and they tow to the nearest facility capable of making the repair.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Wonder if they were saying the damage made it not serviceable? Still fuzzy
    Look at your favorite version of the parts fiche for the FD. Note that the gear set is not listed as a separate part on any of the diagrams. You can buy the housing, the bearings, shims, seals, flange, etc., but not the gear set. Perhaps this is an oversight. But I think it's been that way since the start of the big hole FD. If the gears are trashed it looks like a new FD is BMWs preferred solution.

KevinRT
    Glurkus, my final drive on my 08 RT went at 50,000 km - identical to yours. I had no leaking oil, no brake issues, no other symptoms, other than increased vibration which I chalked up to a cupped front tire. I don't use the dealer for service, but they and BMW Canada apparently stepped up and covered one third the cost, so it cost me about $1900 parts and labour for a new unit. The new final drive is the newest design with the breather on top and a separate fill hole so the speed sensor hole does not have to be used. Whether the newer unit will be any better remains to be seen. I am not optomistic. My 08 is my third BMW and I have now gone through two final drives and two drive shafts. When I am next ready to buy, unless BMW has got their act together, I will not be purchasing a beemer.
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada

Anoother final drive bites the dust 07 R1200RT

Yesterday I joined the Final Drive Failure Club. '07 R1200 RT, 46,315 miles. I was en route to my trusted dealer for what I believed was a tire problem. Vibration which I thought was from tire cupping. I had check the rear wheel several times for play at the 12-6 and 9-3 position. None noticed. No oil leakage or excessive heat in FD unit. About 10 miles from dealership heard a very brief grinding sound followed immediately by slight swaying of rear end of bike. Very similar to the sensation of a tire going down. At a safe pull off, I check the rear wheel again and there was 1/8 inch play easily detected. Bike hauled to dealer. Diagnosed as failed crown bearing. Repairs underway.

Buck Lemme
    Vienna, Illinois

Sounds similar to mine. I had vibration that I thought was from worn tires. Vibration got worse after I had new tires put on. No play either at 6 or 12 o'clock.
    Turned out to be the crown bearing. Miles were low enough on the bike that BMW paid all of repair.
    The service manager said that they have been seeing an increase in final drive failures on '07 and '08 RTs in the last few months after seeing very few in the last several years. Doesn't seem like BMW fixed the perpetual FD problems.
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception."
    James Thurber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by glurkus View Post
    Sounds similar to mine. I had vibration that I thought was from worn tires. Vibration got worse after I had new tires put on. No play either at 6 or 12 o'clock.
    Turned out to be the crown bearing. Miles were low enough on the bike that BMW paid all of repair.
    The service manager said that they have been seeing an increase in final drive failures on '07 and '08 RTs in the last few months after seeing very few in the last several years. Doesn't seem like BMW fixed the perpetual FD problems.
    Obviously, they haven't.

Made draining and re-filling easier, but did not fix the problem. Sad.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

I don't get my bike serviced at a dealer because I don't like driving or towing 90 miles west or 120 miles east through peristant ongoing Interstate construction. If it weren't for the fact that I just like my BMW's I would buy Japan bikes that I could get serviced locally.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

is there any data that indicates the average mileage for an fd failure and what percentage of bikes (by model) have fd failures?

i'm guessing the average mileage at failure is around 40k and the percentage of bikes with an fd failure is about five (which the company might well find 'acceptable').
    Last edited by f14rio; 10-21-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

While we're on the data; it would be interesting to look at it in terms of models (GS, RT, RR, etc) since the geometries are different.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

re:" If it weren't for the fact that I just like my BMW's I would buy Japan bikes that I could get serviced locally."

that would make too much sense.

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    is there any data that indicates the average mileage for an fd failure and what percentage of bikes (by model) have fd failures?

i'm guessing the average mileage at failure is around 40k and the percentage of bikes with an fd failure is about five (which the company might well find 'acceptable').
    Sadly, no.

Only corporate BMW possesses such aggregate data, via feedback from individual dealerships, and they ain't talking.

Their silence is deafening, however.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Update on my FD. Still at dealer. BMW covering 60% of cost to replace the FD with the updated model. Fingers crossed.

They must have some data that is making them more generous.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

updated model ?

what changes are included in the update?

They did not say. From the Internet, it looks like they made it more serviceable, but I don't know if the internals changed. I sure hope so. My dealer, who I generally trust, said if I was given options by BMW, to choose the new replacement. His tone and body language certainly led me to believe it was updated internally. However I could be overplaying that. It is definitely a different part number, and the original part number is no longer available. FWIW.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys