Thread: Another RT Final Drive Bites the Dust '07 R1200RT

Hybrid View

Unhappy Another RT Final Drive Bites the Dust '07 R1200RT

Just found out My 07 RT with 31000 miles needs the final drive rebuilt. After new tires, I noticed a vibration in the bike that was not there before, mostly feeling it in the foot pegs.
    I had just gone a couple of miles from home when I could smell burning brakes. I pulled over and found the rear brake and caliper too hot to touch. Thinking my rear brake was locking up, I put the bike on the center stand and put in it gear. The rear wheel wobbled about an 1/8th.
    I called the Dealer and they said the final drive was out. No oil leaking from FD and all periodic service was done. The good news is that BMW will pick up most of the tab.
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception."
    James Thurber

that's nice to hear

is that usually the case for bmw to help out with the bucks?
    i'm thinking that if all service was done by the dealer that might affect their decision to help.
    Last edited by f14rio; 10-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Good info

If nothing else, you've provided other RT owners with valuable clues on what goes wrong when a final drive is going bad. I didn't know about the brake smell/heat, and I wouldn't have thought to put it up on the center stand in gear.
    Thanks, hope BMW takes good care of you!
    -Scott
    Hershey, PA
    IBA# 41,645
    2006 BMW R1200RT "Pacific Coast II"

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Caca pasa.

Cool

Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

I have a couple of questions...
    1 - Why is the dealer helping with the cost since your bike is well past the warranty period? I hope the rest of us get service like that.

2 - Are you sure the final drive was serviced every time it was required? I wonder if the older style FD was serviced since it was harder for the mechanic to perform. On my ST1300 it was so easy to do that I almost always changed the FD oil when I was doing an engine oil change.

tsp
    My Blog: http://www.swriding.blogspot.com

KevinRT
    Glurkus, my final drive on my 08 RT went at 50,000 km - identical to yours. I had no leaking oil, no brake issues, no other symptoms, other than increased vibration which I chalked up to a cupped front tire. I don't use the dealer for service, but they and BMW Canada apparently stepped up and covered one third the cost, so it cost me about $1900 parts and labour for a new unit. The new final drive is the newest design with the breather on top and a separate fill hole so the speed sensor hole does not have to be used. Whether the newer unit will be any better remains to be seen. I am not optomistic. My 08 is my third BMW and I have now gone through two final drives and two drive shafts. When I am next ready to buy, unless BMW has got their act together, I will not be purchasing a beemer.
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada

Anoother final drive bites the dust 07 R1200RT

Yesterday I joined the Final Drive Failure Club. '07 R1200 RT, 46,315 miles. I was en route to my trusted dealer for what I believed was a tire problem. Vibration which I thought was from tire cupping. I had check the rear wheel several times for play at the 12-6 and 9-3 position. None noticed. No oil leakage or excessive heat in FD unit. About 10 miles from dealership heard a very brief grinding sound followed immediately by slight swaying of rear end of bike. Very similar to the sensation of a tire going down. At a safe pull off, I check the rear wheel again and there was 1/8 inch play easily detected. Bike hauled to dealer. Diagnosed as failed crown bearing. Repairs underway.

Buck Lemme
    Vienna, Illinois

Sounds similar to mine. I had vibration that I thought was from worn tires. Vibration got worse after I had new tires put on. No play either at 6 or 12 o'clock.
    Turned out to be the crown bearing. Miles were low enough on the bike that BMW paid all of repair.
    The service manager said that they have been seeing an increase in final drive failures on '07 and '08 RTs in the last few months after seeing very few in the last several years. Doesn't seem like BMW fixed the perpetual FD problems.
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception."
    James Thurber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by glurkus View Post
    Sounds similar to mine. I had vibration that I thought was from worn tires. Vibration got worse after I had new tires put on. No play either at 6 or 12 o'clock.
    Turned out to be the crown bearing. Miles were low enough on the bike that BMW paid all of repair.
    The service manager said that they have been seeing an increase in final drive failures on '07 and '08 RTs in the last few months after seeing very few in the last several years. Doesn't seem like BMW fixed the perpetual FD problems.
    Obviously, they haven't.

Made draining and re-filling easier, but did not fix the problem. Sad.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

I don't get my bike serviced at a dealer because I don't like driving or towing 90 miles west or 120 miles east through peristant ongoing Interstate construction. If it weren't for the fact that I just like my BMW's I would buy Japan bikes that I could get serviced locally.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

They did say it is "vented", and more "serviceable". Does not come with any "breakin" oil so good for 24000. If any of those comments mean anything.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Btw, my OTD cost was $900 after BMW helped.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys