Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A video you need to watch

Too much of this sort of pseudo science/research being done at taxpayer expense in our universities today. Might qualify for an article in Cosmo magazine or an appearance on a TV show like Ellen, but it's not scientific research. Imagine the effect she has on her wide eyed Freshman college students.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I gave up after a few minutes when it started sounding like a bad Unitarian sermon.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I think just about every variation of vulnerability and reaction to it she talked about has been displayed in this thread. May have missed a few but then I would have to watch it again to be certain.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    I think just about every variation of vulnerability and reaction to it she talked about has been displayed in this thread. May have missed a few but then I would have to watch it again to be certain.
    Nice observation. My hat is off to you!
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Too much of this sort of pseudo science/research being done at taxpayer expense in our universities today. Might qualify for an article in Cosmo magazine or an appearance on a TV show like Ellen, but it's not scientific research. Imagine the effect she has on her wide eyed Freshman college students.
    Well said.
    I spent 26 years at the university debunking this sort of "research".
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Interesting video although not particularly unique in its ideas regarding human behavior/growth research. To believe that "if you can't measure it, it does not exist" is an error in research as well. If you use a chemist's research (for example) strategy for researching human behavior you just might find yourself overlooking some important factors. You'll have a conclusion but it will likely be 'faulty science' itself. Use inductive/deductive reasoning (aka scientific method) to problem-solve a bike issue but just try and use that method alone to predict rider behavior - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post
    This is a great video for one to learn some interesting things about people, and how to make better connections. Sounds interesting right. Nope sounds crappy when you put it into words.

If you watch it you will be entertained, laugh and be more informed about life and humans.

Maybe someone who watches it can describe it better than I; or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Qm9cGRub0&sns=em
    20 + minutes?!?!?! Really?

Got thru about 10 minutes of this. While I agree with the basic subject matter- that people feel they are unworthy - a basic self esteem problem that is rampant in today's society, especially in the U.S.- I cannot possibly imagine how you might have thought that the MOA Forum is your best target audience!

While this seems to have been specifically about - or targeting- women, I see the problems she speaks about as more universal. IMO self esteem (or lack of it) is one of modern society's biggest problems. Many things have led me to this belief, but is is unshakable within me. To see this, it doesn't require an academic or scientific bent, or a Social Sciences degree. All one really has to do is take a good look around.... Well that, and give a sh*t.

Qualifier:
    Since I didn't get thru the entire vid, maybe I've missed some crucial aspect; maybe something else was revealed later in her address. My commentary is based solely on the first 10 or so minutes.
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 10-11-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Don't take it to heart, man, plenty of overly opinionated riders around here. It beats the hell out of being ignored.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom