Thread: /5 headlight

/5 headlight

Attached a pic of my /5 headlight reflector and bulb holder. (Original type) Trying to figure out what is missing. In other words, what holds the bulb, bulb holder, and spring onto the reflector? Could have sworn I saw a pic on the web somewhere of what its supposed to look like, but can't find it now.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

From RealOEM:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...39&hg=63&fg=05

Looks like you have Items 1 and 2...not sure how it's supposed to attach to your reflector. Let's hope you have the right reflector.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

From MAXBMW's microfiche.

The bulb support [underside]. It engages tabs on the reflector and is held in place by the tension of the spring against the reflector (the bulb is "trapped" between this part and the reflector). A fractional turn of the support "locks" in place. This one is apparently a later replacement part (spring connector vs. spade connectors). The OEM reflector is NA.

Did this reflector come out of your bike? It doesn't look like an OEM part; the tab on the outside diameter (at 3:00) shouldn't be there.

63121351764_1_B.jpg

Another shot showing the tabs.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

The reflector is made in Germany with a 1 305 313 902 stamped on it. The lens is a Bosch, so I am assuming it is original. It has no tabs for the the bulb holder to lock on to, nor do they look like they've been broken off. There are two small holes that I thought may be for a wire bail, even though I didn't really see how that would work, either. I seem to remember a wire bail involved in a BMW headlight somewhere....
    This is from a 72 R60 junker I bought just for the headlight bucket and speedo. It was just hanging by the wires when I got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The number is not a part number...no headlight part for a /5 or even a /2 has that kind of number associated with it. No telling what the reflector really goes to.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Your tabs are broken off. That reflector looks correct - I just compared it to one I have the garage. It has this number on it

0303550000?2 (not sure about last 0)

If you need a reflector assembly I have one.

Just backing up EBEEBY's observation; the tabs are broken off. I converted to H4 and had my old OEM at the shop. The tab at the bottom IS there (memory is fading) and covered by the rubber gasket (that holds the lens onto the reflector.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

What are you asking for it?

/ mod hat on /

Please, keep any buying/selling/trading off the tech forums. Either use PMs or go to the Flea Market.

Thanks...

/ mod hat off /