Thread: Any RT owners also own an R?

Any RT owners also own an R?

I was wondering how many of us RT owners also own the R roadster model in addition to the RT.

Do you feel that the R is different enough to have both? Or are they to close together?

Thanks,

Chris
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

I had an 07 RT along with my 08 R for 2+ years. I eventually came to the conclusion that I did not need both and that when it came time for a ride I was always looking towards the R. I sold the RT last spring. The R is easier to ride than the RT, lower CG, more nimble and I have more confidence in slow speed manuvers. I use my R largely for longer trips and find that the way I have equipped I can can get more on it than I did with the RT. The side cases on the RT are surprisingly small inside. I also have very good protection on the R. With the scout fairing, tank panniers and Wunderlich foot protection it keeps me reasonably warm and dry.

The picture above shows it during a recent ride down to the 4 corners area. I have Hepco Becker Bags and a Happy Trails topcase. We camp most of the time so we need to carry a bunch of gear so I also have a Kermit Bag on the pillion. I've got about 20K on this set-up this year and it is working well for me (I did add the top case in mid-summer). By the way, it appears Jesse will be coming out with bags to fit the R in the next 6 months or so. I will probably switch to those when available.

I do miss the large tank on the RT, but I ride with my wife on her F650GS twin and our fuel ranges are pretty similar. I also miss the cruise control. The ThrottleMeister is okay, but not as nice as cruise control.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Rally Rat
    Rode an RT for 3 years and 38ooo miles.

Now I ride an R with a windshield.
    I bought the bags with the bike new but keep them off unless I travel.

David