Thread: stripped drive shaft filler plug

Hybrid View

stripped drive shaft filler plug

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove a stripped drive shaft oil filler plug, without removing the final drive from the bike. It will turn, but it won't come out. I'ts on a R90/6.
    Thank's
    Last edited by samo; 10-07-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added more info

You could try pulling up or pushing down on the bolt head while turning.

Beyond that, you can still drain it, so maybe you could work on removing the rubber boot on the forward of the drive shaft and fill it from there. Kind of a bandaid, but you can still get fluid in/out. It only takes about 100cc of gear oil.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Did you ever get an answer? Strangely, I have the same problem on my '77 R100/7.

Ed

Had the same issue years ago on my /7.
    My fix was to drill and tap the plug (1/4-20) IIRC.
    Loctited a longer bolt/screw in the hole and then pulled up on it whilst unscrewing the plug.
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

If it's stripped (rotates without getting tight) there's no point in babying it. Get a pair of suitably sized vice grips and pull while twisting. Although there's not much you're going to about fixing once you get it out.

Any kind of thread repair is going to create a bunch of foreign material that will fall into the housing.

Taking the final drive off is a totally simple job; maybe five minutes. Those four nuts you see are all there is that holds it on; remove the axle and shock and it's off. The only caveat is to insert the axle before you tighten down those four nuts when reassembling (to align the housing with the swing arm).

It would probably be easier than fighting it on the ground, and you could make sure all the bits of aluminum are out.

There have been a couple of good discussion on this same problem. Too bad the search feature is still boogered up from the virus attack... .. .
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    There have been a couple of good discussion on this same problem. Too bad the search feature is still boogered up from the virus attack...
    Try this workaround...right-click on the "Search This Forum" link at the top right of the page, then left-click open in a new tab. There will be a search box at the bottom. Probably best to go to Advanced and use some of those features.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

hmmm. thanks Kurt.

But all I get when I do that is THIS thread.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner