Thread: 1982 R65LS Exhaust

1982 R65LS Exhaust

My R65LS has been redone and I believe it looks great, except for the mufflers. Currently, there are generic 40mm BMW replacement sleeved down which look OK from the side, but are spread way wide. The head pipes are MAC's that I bought on eBay. They are good. I've tried Dunstal replicas, which fit seamlessly and looked great. But, they were way noisy. Even tried putting in Harley Drag Pipe Baffles. Still way to much noise. Can anyone guide me to someone who might have R65 mufflers avai;lable? I've had zero success with my limited knowledge research.

Thanks much,
    Mike Stevens
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."

MaxBMW lists a pair at nearly $800 for both:

18 12 2 302 013 and 014
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

R65LS exhaust

Chili,

When putting my LS back together I spend considerable amount of time dealing with Rusty and Drew at Max's, I found both to be absolutely outstanding. Rusty is one of the top historical/airhead parts guys around. Very helpful from my end. However, when I was looking at OEM exhaust from BMW, Rusty was very honest with me, in short the canisters he had in stock and those that he received failed to be very good. Whoever BMW/Germany is having make the canisters for the LS, is not doing a very good job. Rusty could not find a pair that were similar in color and quality. I certainly appreciated Max's honesty about the quality of the product.

I ended up using aftermarket chrome canisters. Not stock but works.

Quote Originally Posted by chilibowlfan View Post
    My R65LS has been redone and I believe it looks great, except for the mufflers. Currently, there are generic 40mm BMW replacement sleeved down which look OK from the side, but are spread way wide. The head pipes are MAC's that I bought on eBay. They are good. I've tried Dunstal replicas, which fit seamlessly and looked great. But, they were way noisy. Even tried putting in Harley Drag Pipe Baffles. Still way to much noise. Can anyone guide me to someone who might have R65 mufflers avai;lable? I've had zero success with my limited knowledge research.

Thanks much,
    Mike Stevens
    ya might try Epco exhaust, in Germantown , Ohio

BTW....beautiful motorcycle!

Try Siebenrock in Germany- I got several parts for my R65LS from them including hard to find stuff

Currently, there are generic 40mm BMW replacement sleeved down which look OK from the side, but are spread way wide.
    . .. . spread way wide how? From the rear they look too wide?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Keihan in England makes a good LS copy in Stainless. They don't always have them, in which case you might have to wait six months for them to run another batch.

As for black - you might have to check into a plating shop to have them black chromed.

Thanks folks for taking the time to reply.

Kurt - $800 for the pair may not be worth the expenditure. I've already got >$10K tied up in a bike worth maybe $2,500.

71243 - I've emailed EPCO, waiting for reply. Their list of $549 is more realistic. Thanks for your positive comment. Not only does it look good - it's fun to ride!

Kantuc - Thanks for the heads up. I'll try Siebenrock. Haven't heard of them before.

Lew - Yeah, if I had saddle bags, the mufflers would be outside of them

Tyrla - Thank's for the heads up on Keihan. I'll add them to my list. Also I'll make note of your gauge repair.

Mike
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."

Huggett has them

Try bmwbike.com make sure you switch to English language on the home page and see if you can find what you need. They are prompt and knowledgeable and might be able to help you. I have heard but can't confirm some not bad things with dealing with Epco. I had a bad experience with them in 1989 and haven't bothered to give them another try but I have friends that ignored my advise and well that's were I heard those bad things. I just heard one side of the story though.

I meant to say bad things

I meant to say bad things regarding Epco. My writing "not bad things" is proof that I need more sleep.

I think that your LS looks very nice with the R90S inspired paint job!

That said - with the cosmetics changes you've made, it doesn't really make sense anyways to try to put on original looking black exhaust headers and mufflers with everything looking so shiny and no black body paint anyway. So, my recommendation is to go with chrome which looks nice with what you have already.

So, given a chrome exhaust setup, your current chrome headers are OK, and I'd recommend going with either Keihan or Epco chrome or stainless mufflers.

You can also put in a request to the guys at re-psycle.com - sometimes they have some very lightly used parts that still look gerat. Plus, the usual trolling in IBMWR.org, fleabay, etc.
    BMWs in my garage: 1982 R65LS, 1978 R100/7

Staintune Exhaust

Try these site:

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts...RS_-_6_-_7.htm

headers for R65 not sure on mufflers

1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

Quote Originally Posted by boxermaf View Post
    You can also put in a request to the guys at re-psycle.com - sometimes they have some very lightly used parts that still look gerat. Plus, the usual trolling in IBMWR.org, fleabay, etc.
    You might try Martindale Motorcycle Works (who took over Airhead Salvage). You never know, Mikey might have a good used set...
    http://martindalemotorcycleworks.com/A55A76/home.nsf
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

"I meant to say bad things regarding Epco. My writing "not bad things" is proof that I need more sleep."
    ==========================
    Just to let you know there is another side to this story - I have not bought anything from Epco for
    about 5 years but for many years before that used and was well satisfied with their work

Haven't bought anything recently because their stainless exhaust lasts forever

Mufflers for R60/2, R50/2, 2-/2 conversion bikes and one Norton comando - all were reasonably
    priced, delivered in good time, fit properly and sounded right

I am still running all this stuff to this day except the Norton which I sold and all function as new