Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1990 K75S - bent bike - need some parts :(

Sorry, just dawned on me that the forks are different. I'm a newbie.

David Sword

3 Red Bricks
    Cs use the same tubes and sliders as the early (pre-Showa fork [pre-8/91]) Ss, but some of the internals (springs, dampers, pre-load spacers) are different.

Your springs will be junk, so if you used the C tubes, you would still have to buy springs and use your dampers. So basically all you are using from the C is the upper tubes and you would need to rebuild your internals (not that expensive if you can do it yourself). I would recommend a nice set of Progressive Suspension front springs (about $90).

I believe that 2valve K100RS (Sport) forks after '85 are the same as K75S forks, but I'm not POSITIVE at the moment. The only difference is the upper triple clamp. Springs and dampening appear identical.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Cs use the same tubes and sliders as the early (pre-Showa fork [pre-8/91]) Ss, but some of the internals (springs, dampers, pre-load spacers) are different.

Your springs will be junk, so if you used the C tubes, you would still have to buy springs and use your dampers. So basically all you are using from the C is the upper tubes and you would need to rebuild your internals (not that expensive if you can do it yourself). I would recommend a nice set of Progressive Suspension front springs (about $90).

I believe that 2valve K100RS (Sport) forks after '85 are the same as K75S forks, but I'm not POSITIVE at the moment. The only difference is the upper triple clamp. Springs and dampening appear identical.

Back home!

I've stripped it all down, and the left and right fairing panels look like they *might* be repairable, but I'd really like to start with some nice straight pieces. Front centre panel - same. The inner piece is cracked and will have to be replaced..

Thanks for that great information on the forks. I have sourced a set of used forks from Quebec from a bike that was in a rear end collision. They've arrived already and look good.

Good news is that it was an S, so the springs will be appropriate (hadn't thought of that). I'll need to get some fork seals, and a new headset bearing and rebuild it all.
    My old bearings were notched and I was going to rebuild the head over the winter so I would have been taking this all apart anyway. No harm no foul.

Bad news is that the fairings on that crashed bike are already sold...and it was even marakesh red !

For those of you who have offered part by PM - I will be in touch again soon as I figure out exactly what I need. I took it apart in the few spare moments I have so I haven't even really done the close inspection yet.

I'll try to get some photos up. It's getting dark sooner so that makes it a bit more tricky.

PS - I've been dreaming of doing a cafe/bobber conversion. Trying to figure out if that would be more or less work/$ than putting it back to stock. I would lose the utility of the saddle bags and windshield, but gain the cool points. A photo is attached of a rattier version f what I'd be going for.

I know this sort of thing isn't popular on this board - but that's one of the reasons I'm posting here - so you can talk me out of it!

Truth is I'd be in the market for another 75S pretty quick - they're just such damned good all-rounders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jasper
    north vancouver

1990 K75S

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwetering View Post

I have sourced a set of used forks from Quebec from a bike that was in a rear end collision. They've arrived already and look good.

And they are from an S that was built BEFORE 8/91, correct?

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

And they are from an S that was built BEFORE 8/91, correct?

Yes sir - a 1989 K75S. (phew)

What's the difference for those who might read this thread later Lee?
    jasper
    north vancouver

1990 K75S

3 Red Bricks
    The post 8/91 bikes used Showa front forks. They are a different diameter and had different internals and different sliders (they look a little different around the axle clamp). The most visual difference is they do not use the big rubber dust boot over the fork seal.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

The post 8/91 bikes used Showa front forks. They are a different diameter and had different internals and different sliders (they look a little different around the axle clamp). The most visual difference is they do not use the big rubber dust boot over the fork seal.
    Hey, 98Lee,

Any advantage of the early forks over the Showa or the other way around?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

3 Red Bricks
    Not in my opinion. Others may have a differing opinion. Either way the difference is not much.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

You save money on brake fluid
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages