Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
I disagree. You want to match engine rpm and transmission input shaft rpm which will minimize any slipping action in the clutch. You don't do this dumping the engine speed back down too far. Just up a little on downshifts, and down a little on upshifts.
Thanx, Paul. I became particularly curious when the guy who runs the indep shop that I sometimes frequent looked at my clutch en route to an input spline lube. I'd just bought this 2000 1100RT w just shy of 60 K on the clock and wanted to see what I'd really gotten myself into. He measured and said the clutch was about 50% worn. I chose not to replace it, and hoped i could get at least another 30 thousand miles out of it. He also said that he'd recently inspected another 2000 RT w about 100 K on it and the clutch showed virtually no wear whatsoever. i attributed it to the fact that owner was a long-time Chi- Region member with lots of miles and lots of experience, and therefore really healthy shifting habits.

Who knows?? maybe the original owner of mine was stuck in daily Chicago rush hour traffic both ways. Maybe the other guy's 100 k was all long days on the slab at 80 mph out in KS and NE with no good reason to slow down.

Don't mean to hijack but I'm trying to learn about how these things work. thanx to all for the responses.