Thread: Hats Off !

Hats Off !

Hats off to two BMW Anonymous members ! Yesterday (Friday) ,I had a valve stem come apart on I-10. I had stopped at exit 258 to get fuel and breakfast. I was on a trip from Key West to Diamond head, MS and had just left Gainesville a little earlier. After determining that the loss of air in the front tire was due to a valve stem coming apart, I contacted Phil Roddenberry in Live Oak, Fl and Binkley in the Tallahassee area.Both went to work trying to help find a resolution . Phil was able to drive over with a trailer and ended up hauling my bike to a Honda dealer in lake City. They got me back on the road in an hour. Even though I lost about five hours, I still got home a little after dark, having covered about 530 miles. It was a long day, but if these two BMWMOA members hadn't stepped up to the plate it would have been longer.

Thanks guys !!!!!

Dennis
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Don't forget to reccomend all that helped the Helping Hand Award!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Darryl,
    I would be happy to do so, except there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do it. I have looked on the site a d found info about the award and past recipients. Of course it isn't current and there is no mention of how to recommend someone.
    Any ideas ? Oh yeah; why isn't the site current ?

Dennis Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Darryl,
    I would be happy to do so, except there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do it. I have looked on the site a d found info about the award and past recipients. Of course it isn't current.
    Any ideas ? Oh yeah; why isn't the site current ?

Dennis Jones
    Send an email to Ray Zimmerman (rayz@bmwmoa.org) with the particulars.

He will take care of it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thank you Paul for this help.

Don't expect a reply

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Send an email to Ray Zimmerman (rayz@bmwmoa.org) with the particulars.

He will take care of it.
    Ray is not good at replying to emails. Send it to him, but don't expect confirmation.

Great story; glad you made it home.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Thanks Jerry,
    I was really glad to finally get home. The first day (500) miles was spent mostly in rain which h of course had its tedious moments. The second day, I wasted five hours getting rescued, repaired, and back on the road. But I did get home safely, and I did meet some very nice, and helpful people;
    Binkley on the phone, Phil face to face, and the efficient and helpful people at the Honda dealer in Lake City, FL.
    Now for a little rant. It seems to me that if BMWMOA was truly interested in recognizing good deeds, Helping Hands, etc., then I would be able to submit that on the BMWMOA website. Instead I am expected to send an email explaining who I want to recognize and why to someone that doesn't like E-mail and may not even confirm getting said E-mail. Does anyone else think this is a rediculous way to do this ?

Thanks Jerry,
    I was really glad to finally get home. The first day (500) miles was spent mostly in rain which h of course had its tedious moments. The second day, I wasted five hours getting rescued, repaired, and back on the road. But I did get home safely, and I did meet some very nice, and helpful people;
    Binkley on the phone, Phil face to face, and the efficient and helpful people at the Honda dealer in Lake City, FL.
    Now for a little rant. It seems to me that if BMWMOA was truly interested in recognizing good deeds, Helping Hands, etc., then I would be able to submit that on the BMWMOA website. Instead I am expected to send an email explaining who I want to recognize and why to someone that doesn't like E-mail and may not even confirm getting said E-mail. Does anyone else think this is a rediculous way to do this ?
    Agree 100%, Seems wrong and stupid!
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Yeah, all I really wanted to do was publicly recognize two nice guys who went out of their way to help me and to let people know that the anonymous list is a valuable resource.
    I'm not going any further with this because the process is designed to defeat.

Anyway, Binkley in Tallahassee and Phil Roddenberry in Live Oak are first class guys in my book.

There's an old adage that says no good deed goes unpunished. I guess recognizing a good deed has its own punishment too. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize those who took the time to help you.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Ambassadors

I am betting one or more Ambassador will see your post and make sure the proper folks at ON are told about it.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Instead I am expected to send an email explaining who I want to recognize and why to someone that doesn't like E-mail and may not even confirm getting said E-mail. Does anyone else think this is a rediculous way to do this ?
    We could have a thread in the Clubhouse section of the forum.

There is also a contact us link in the persistent navigation on our site. Our phone number is also listed

I bet if you called or wrote, anyone at the office would know exactly what to do with what you told them.

That said, it would be nice to have a section on the site about Helping Hand stories. We used to....

http://web.archive.org/web/200310081...handawards.htm

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    We could have a thread in the Clubhouse section of the forum.

There is also a contact us link in the persistent navigation on our site. Our phone number is also listed

I bet if you called or wrote, anyone at the office would know exactly what to do with what you told them.

That said, it would be nice to have a section on the site about Helping Hand stories. We used to....

http://web.archive.org/web/200310081...handawards.htm

Ian
    Yeah,
    Used to until some computer genius administrator decided he/she had a better way.