Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Monumental Rides

No Monumental Rides

I don't do the Apls, or ride for 1000 mile days: see how fast I can take the Dragon.
    Nope none of that, just rides to places I never been when away from home turf.
    With a 150 mile tank, it makes you stop every few hours and get something to drink, and maybe chew on. I mostly ride alone, most of my riding buddies don't ride like I do. 100 mile day is a long one for them.

I sometimes go down to Ohio, pick up my 38 year old son who rides a KLR, and we will find places to ride in southern OH. This weekend rain or not we will go down to WV, stay a couple of nights out playing on roads with lots of curves.
    My son also races bicycles, so he tends to ride a little faster then me, he might even be a better rider due to his bicycle riding, and the 100 miles days he rides that bicycle.

I just like rides at my pace. I recently went for an 84 R100RT, to a 2004 CLC. This is taking some getting use to, but I miss the ease of the 84 sometimes. The CLC does do nicely, and has all those bells and etc.: Only the parking lots turns do you really notice the heaviness of the MC. If I get stuck on a interstate the CLC is a lot nicer I must admitt.

So monumental, earth shaking, rides, just 300 miles days at 7+/- miles over must speed limits. Of course a hidden smile and a wave at every 2 wheeler I see.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

the joy of riding, near the same here but i will usually do 500 miles a day in a trip. find a historical stop or some diners, drive-ins and dive locations along the two lane highways to visit. ridin' is satisfying.
    RideTN
    W Tenn
    2012 r1200rt

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIAirhead View Post
    I don't do the Apls, or ride for 1000 mile days: see how fast I can take the Dragon.
    Nope none of that, just rides to places I never been when away from home turf.
    With a 150 mile tank, it makes you stop every few hours and get something to drink, and maybe chew on. I mostly ride alone, most of my riding buddies don't ride like I do. 100 mile day is a long one for them.

I sometimes go down to Ohio, pick up my 38 year old son who rides a KLR, and we will find places to ride in southern OH. This weekend rain or not we will go down to WV, stay a couple of nights out playing on roads with lots of curves.
    My son also races bicycles, so he tends to ride a little faster then me, he might even be a better rider due to his bicycle riding, and the 100 miles days he rides that bicycle.

I just like rides at my pace. I recently went for an 84 R100RT, to a 2004 CLC. This is taking some getting use to, but I miss the ease of the 84 sometimes. The CLC does do nicely, and has all those bells and etc.: Only the parking lots turns do you really notice the heaviness of the MC. If I get stuck on a interstate the CLC is a lot nicer I must admitt.

So monumental, earth shaking, rides, just 300 miles days at 7+/- miles over must speed limits. Of course a hidden smile and a wave at every 2 wheeler I see.
    I do something similar but I seldom ride alone. There are a group of old f*rts (mid 60s to mid to upper 70s). WeI ride with about once a week. Fortunately, we live in a good place for riding crooked mountain roads. We meet for breakfast at a local restaurant and we decide where or which direction we are going to ride as we eat. Our rides are generally 150-225 miles. We ride until we find a good place to eat lunch. After we have lunch, we wander back home on a different route. Our little group ranges from 3 to 6 with BMWs and Harleys about equally mixed. We have a similar riding style and generally ride about 5 MPH over the speed limit.

I normally ride my R1200CLC but if the roads are going to be exceptionally crooked, I sometimes ride my R80RT. It took me a while to get used to the CLC but after nearly 6 years of riding it, I like it better than any of the dozen or so bikes I have had.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Interesting posts. I normally ride alone. Living in a County that covers over 3,200 square miles (about 80% of which is National Forest land, and some of which is Wilderness areas) and has a population of less than 14K. The town I live in is only about 1,800 folks, so there are not many other riders to hook up with. I don't have much time to just "take off and ride", so the vast majority of my riding is basic transportation. Reducing ones carbon footprint while having fun and saving on fuel costs.....what more could one want! I am fortunate that there are only three roads to get out of my mountain valley town, and all take me into rugged mountain twisties within ten minutes of home.

I'm not looking to race, and I do like to enjoy the great scenery. I try to keep my riding level at about 70% of what I think I am capable of. Lots of deer around those blind corners, and if you manage to swerve around a deer, you will probably hit the second deer. I do however, work on improving my riding skills, and am currently reading and working on the skills presented in "Proficient Motorcycling". I have an R12C, and find it perfect for my riding. It great torque makes mountain riding easy with far less shifting. I my previous life I have had other Boxers (R69 & R75) and rode numerous other machines. I think this one is a keeper.

Lkarl KJ6OCL

I never ride 'alone' but it is usually just one bike. The GF is always with me and I like it that way. I have a few friends with bikes, (Harleys and a few with FJR's) but they never seem to have time. The FJR buddies do ride though as one of them has about 125000 miles on his 06 model! Just never have time to 'just ride'.

I like a day trip of 200 miles, and if I'm on a road trip, about 350 is as far as I want to ride in a day.

I would love to go 'abroad' to ride, but there are plenty of things in this country I haven't seen yet!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

I guess I just finished a Monumental ride....

Monument Valley Utah
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Incredible country isn't it? I have looped through there a few times and keep coming back. Love to stay over night at the San Jaun Inn in Mexican Hat... then tackle Moki Dugway the next day.

Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

No monumental rides for this old boy, but I do refuse to give up my R1100S. Took retirement early, after nine heart surgeries. Doctors told my wife I had a 50/50 chance of survival, and a 90% chance of permanent brain damage, after the last episode. But yet, 14 years later, I'm still six feet over and walking upright. Only have stamina for about 300 mile days, but when I get the chance I still do 'em!

So most of my rides these days are shortish, mostly on backroads close to home. But sure has been a nice extended summer here in the great Pacific Northwet!

Boy, do I LOVE to ride.
    Bill Johnston

RK Ryder
    I live in an area where the land is flat and the roads usually meet at right angles. I love to ride, but I seldom use the bikes for errands. I simply do not go for afternoon rides. In fact I can not ride unless I have a destination, whether it be an art exhibit in Boston, or a TV film set out west or meeting up with friends several provinces or states away. Last year I rode to both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. So living where I do, I prefer monumental rides.

I envy those of you with really good riding roads in your immediate area.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Ohio 26

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/509643

Just finished a ride for North of Columbus, OH to Williamstown, WV.

Route 26 in Ohio is amazing.
    Tom
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by MIAirhead View Post
    http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/509643

Just finished a ride for North of Columbus, OH to Williamstown, WV.

Route 26 in Ohio is amazing.
    Indeed! I discovered that Thursday as part of a 300 mile cruise flight around the southeast corner of the state. Need to mount new tires Monday so I can go back and do it again!

Larry

I became inpressed with WV

I go down to Mid-Ohio often, son lives down there and I ride to his bicycle races and help out sometimes. First Beemer trip to West Virginia and it was a great ride. I don't see how fast I can make a curve or make sure I in front. Just a gentle ride, fast enough to enjoy: not to challenge my bikes maximum abilities.

I just like riding on curves, as opposed to the 4 lane flat slab. Took 800 to SR 26 down to Williamstown, WV, and then road around some great roads. Stopped places that I never find again, with a 4.5 gallon tank about 140 miles before gas (was time to stop anyway). Roads were good shape and very nice scenery, just a great weekend. Trees starting to change, and no bugs. Only one alive deer, couple that had meet their fate. Stopped at the WV tourist information rest area, was told that the 'Governor' was closing the Ohio location. Got some very good riding information, too bad this is closing. Maybe the pamphlets can be found on line.

On the way back Ohio 555 was not a very good road, surface was poor, and there was traffic (mostly farmers). Even some white stuff on road that made me think I had cut a tire. Had to ride very slow till I could find a safe place to stop, by then power was gone. Did stop at Weasel Boy Brewing, Zanesville, OH for one beer. I think SR 26 was a much more enjoyable ride.
    Tom
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Riding in Ohio

I was going to ask if you have been on Ohio 800 when I see that you mentioned it.
    It's one of my favorites.
    Near Zainesville is the "National Road Museum." I found it interesting.

RVing and hating it

Drove down to Croydon, IN saw bikes all day, and here I am in a 34 ft box. Wife of course does not ride, so no bike here. Just a big old box. Bikes looked like a great day for them, enjoying the last of warm weather in Indiana.

Guess last weekend will have to last till I can get home and fire up old black and chrome.
    Tom
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

I had two "monumental" to me, rides this year. I went solo to the rally in Sedalia and I rode through Ontario to Mackinaw City to meet up with my husband.

As big trips go, they were great. However, they don't compare to my trip last weekend to West Virginia. We go there at least once or twice a year with no real plan. There is nothing better than challenging myself through the twisties - especially when I'm riding my A-game! What a rush! 331 is the most miles in one day - no big deal. But the leaves were turning, traffic was light, no cell/internet service and the company of my great hubby. That, to me, is the my most monumental ride this year.