Thread: R1100S Windscreen

Left Coast Rider

R1100S Windscreen

I have the optional BMW "touring" windscreen on my bike. About 17" tall. My issue is that the deflected air is directed at my lower helmet area. No buffeting but a metric tonne of wind noise. I've always worn earplugs but its still bothersome.

Anyone had any experience with different height windscreens? How well does the standard, shorter one perform?

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable advice, ideas, insults.

Al,

Lots of people reading, but no replies yet, eh? I've got the touring screen too, but it's just fine for my height....

Why not try posting on the Pelican Parts forum...? A lot more S riders in that crowd.

I've had a thought or two about trying a taller screen, but worry that I'd run into the same problem you're having. Although I'm only 6'2", I have a short inseam and a long torso, so my helmet seems to be well above the turbulent zone. Since I rode Ducatis for 10 years I have no problem with a lot of airflow....

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Rally Rat
    You might watn to try the stock screen. Your head is in the airstream, but it's smooth air. Works fine for me.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post

Why not try posting on the Pelican Parts forum...? A lot more S riders in that crowd.
    Cheers!

Here is the link to the most recent thread

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...ee-bailey.html

Left Coast Rider
    Thanks for the input and the link, gentlemen.

I think I might try a standard height windscreen. With me being a towering 5'8", it could be a relatively cheap and easy fix. I'll hunt someone down locally and see if I can purloin a ride on their bike before ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I have the optional BMW "touring" windscreen on my bike. About 17" tall. My issue is that the deflected air is directed at my lower helmet area. No buffeting but a metric tonne of wind noise. I've always worn earplugs but its still bothersome.

Anyone had any experience with different height windscreens? How well does the standard, shorter one perform?
    try the Laminar Lip - http://www.laminarlip.com/r1100s.php
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s. Gone: 97 F650st, 04 R1100s, 78 R80/7, 76 Honda 750F, Maico 400, Husqvarna 360 8 speed, Honda SL-350, Suzuki 250 Savage, Honda 175SL, Bonanza 100.