Thread: R1200 RT Headlite bulb replacement

Hybrid View

R1200 RT Headlite bulb replacement

I have a 2010 R1200RT and needto replace one of the headlite bulbs. I can see the round cover plates, and have removed the left one, which services the left bulb. My question is how does the bulb come off of the connector, and / or does the connector need to be removed / unclipped first?

I consulted the service manual, and all they are saying is to completely remove the headlite housing from the bike, and then service it on a bench. Is this necessary?
    Brian
    '10 R1200 RT

In the beautful foothills of the Ozarks, Southeast Missouri.
    If it is like my 2008 RT, after removing the caps, take a flashlight and you will see a wire clip. You squueeze the two ends together while unhooking them at the same time. The clip swings up then. Be careful, they are fragile and I have heard of more than one person breaking them. After you do it once by feel, it will be a piece of cake. Right side is a little harder to get to, but is done the same way. Also, don't do like I did and just change one side. People here told to change both, but did I listen? Nope and less than 600 miles later I was changing the other one.
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS
    AMA, BMWMOA #153389, IBMWR and NRA

In the beautful foothills of the Ozarks, Southeast Missouri.
    Also, forgot to say to gently pull the wire connector off the bulb before doing this. Wiggling it back and forth helps. Gently is the key word though.
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS
    AMA, BMWMOA #153389, IBMWR and NRA

Attn MODERATOR
    In wrong place- move to Hexhead/Camhead section....