Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ON Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Pittsdriver, Not piling on but the comment above got me thinking about my current pet peeve. You reveal almost nothing about yourself in your profile. I guess you are from Pittsburg....Kansas, Pennsylvannia??
    He provides his name, where he lives, and what he rides, almost as much info as you, and more info than a lot of members show.
    Here's a picture of a Pitts.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Pittsdriver, Not piling on but the comment above got me thinking about my current pet peeve. You reveal almost nothing about yourself in your profile. I guess you are from Pittsburg....Kansas, Pennsylvannia?? And you ride a red K bike. Ask yourself, would you be more likely to value the input of someone you know a bit about or an anonymous poster on the forum? We are by and large a friendly bunch here. Tell us a bit about yourself. Briefs or boxers?
    Hi,

My name is Wes Jones, I live in Annapolis MD where I hug my K1600GT every night. I like long slow walks on the beach and fast romps through the hillbilly twisties of West Virginia. What the heck difference does it make where I'm from or what I ride. If I rode an antique BMW that I faithfully and lovingly restored on my trips to Bavaria would that make my magazine impressions more appropriate? Continuing on with my new curmudgeon image, are my observations not self-evident about the magazine regardless of pedigree?

More context eh? I'm in many "clubs." Porsche Club of America, also somewhat afflicted with this "grinning photo" disease. The International Aerobatics Club (IAC), a club for active aerobatic competitors and not at all afflicted in their monthly publication. Ferrari Club of America, Mid-Atlantic Club - terminal case of the grinning photos in newsletters. BMW RA - now that's a magazine - splendid coverage of people using our bikes the way they were intended; spectacular photography too.

I really didn't mean to throw a bomb into the forum but just offer some honest, respectful, but critical feed back on ON and maybe get a few laughs too. I'm sensing that I've violated some sense of propriety like maybe depending on what I ride I may not be entitled to these opinions? I may have to come to next year's rally in Oregon just to see if I can get my ugly mug with my curmudgeonly scowl in print. I might ride 3,000 miles one way for that.

And yes, my Cheerios did smell a little funny this morning.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

WHAMO!!!!!!!!

I love it!

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Here's me flying the Pitts that I drive:

Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD

advrider.com
    FWIW: I am an infrequent ON-contributing BMWMOA member and I rarely even open the magazine, especially now that I'd coming in a plastic wrapper.

I honestly probably haven't looked at one in 3-4 years. I hope Matt Parkhouse is still writing.

I've got a lot of "faults" compared to the "average" MOA member;
    young(ish),
    ride an airhead,
    do my own maintenance,
    don't have the money for inter-national/continental tours.

The magazine usually addresses the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    It's my honest, and apparently initially unpopular feedback. It wasn't just one issue, it's been a couple now on just Sedalia .
    I can understand your point. Most years I could not attend the National because it was held in July, so there were at least 4 months of the ON related to the National that I found little to interest me.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    FWIW: I am an infrequent ON-contributing BMWMOA member and I rarely even open the magazine, especially now that I'd coming in a plastic wrapper.

I honestly probably haven't looked at one in 3-4 years. I hope Matt Parkhouse is still writing.

I've got a lot of "faults" compared to the "average" MOA member;
    young(ish),
    ride an airhead,
    do my own maintenance,
    don't have the money for inter-national/continental tours.

The magazine usually addresses the opposite.

I don't know - I'm a mid-50s, K bike guy that let's my dealer turn all the wrenches and would love to get an idea in every issue for a new place to plan my next epic SPORT/touring trip. It ain't doin' it for me either.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD

I still enjoy the News, especially the people pics, and read most of every issue.
    Last edited by rinty; 10-04-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Wes, Thank you. I have no problem with your basic questioning of what is put into the ON. Maybe we can take a long walk on a beach together sometime.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    He provides his name, where he lives, and what he rides, almost as much info as you, and more info than a lot of members show.
    He did not when I made my post. But I appreciate that he did and regret that my comment seemed to upset him and you a bit. Just being friendly.... I thought.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

He did not when I made my post. But I appreciate that he did and regret that my comment seemed to upset him and you a bit. Just being friendly.... I thought.
    Naw, no harm no foul. I was just venting a little more curmudgeonly humor at your expense. I think I have a new favorite word.

I should have put more stuff in my profile earlier but I just get so wrapped up in the pearls of wisdom I find on here that I hardly ever visit my profile.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD

In a completely unrelated tangent, I got a compliment today on the ON from a person who doesn't ride and until a few months ago had never heard of the MOA.

I've been with my employer for almost six months now. Like many workplaces, we have a break-room, and in that break-room, we have a small magazine rack that is stuffed with various periodical castoffs brought in by employees. There was an odd mix of photography magazines, model railroad magazines, bio-med trade magazines, news magazines, etc... So I started bringing in the ON. I've seen a few people idly flip through it, but our manager LOVES it! He commented on it early on, saying that he thought that it was really well-written and presented, and seemed like a more professional magazine than just about any he'd read. I replied by giving him the rundown on it being a club newsletter and being written by amateurs and all that, and his eyes bugged out as he said, "REALLY?" He doesn't ride at all, and thinks his Hyundai is a pretty slick vehicle...but he loves the ON! He takes it into his office for a couple of days to enjoy, and just today he told me how much he enjoyed the Alaska article in the September issue. "Wait'll you see October," I replied.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Here's me flying the Pitts that I drive:
    Nice!
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Pitts, I respect your opinion and even agree with some of it. But, I treat the ON as I do any other magazine, I read the stuff that interests me and I don't read the stuff I have little or no interest in. It's that simple. Simply put, I feel I'm getting my money's worth, especially with the anon book.

That is one pretty airplane! I've wanted to pilot my own craft since forever, but just don't get it done.

I thought the OP went out of his way to be "non-curmugeonly" in expressing his 1st post ON complaints. No harm done IMO. I 2nd the idea that a reasonably complete profile gives some insight into web conversations.
    As an e.g. of magazine complaints I read several non bike mags & they have their own serious shortcomings(in spite of being among the most popular of all magazines) which have not reached the point of me cancelling out.
    I have my "issues" with the many commercial tour articles provided often & too "ad-like" for my taste & lacking the pizazz of self touring , which I appreciate. The recent article on self touring in Spain was a refreshing contrast to this past trend.
    In spite of Paul & Matt's great efforts to provide tech content for ON I still feel that area's given far too little content. FWIW I'm still of the opinion that ON hasn't really improved since Sandy, as I see the page count go up the true content(for me) does not. As above I skip much ON content & lay in on the rest. The days are long gone when I went to the Flea Mkt in the back to be 1st in line, though I still look in thinking that a non web user will advertise some bike morsel.
    If I have a point of contention with the OP-it's having to admit(as a retired teacher) that I cannot afford a vintage plane & a Porshe, so just a bit of jealousy going on but I'll get over it.