Thread: Clutch release lever oil leakage

Clutch release lever oil leakage

I have a 1984 R80RT and noticed a few drips of transmission oil at the clutch release lever boot, at the back of the transmission. Looking at parts fiche, I can't find a seal in the lever assembly, nor on the transmission shaft at the rear. Is it "normal" for a bit of oil to seep into the release lever assembly? If not, where is the seal? Thanks!

Not normal for this to leak. IIRC, the '80s bikes had a slightly different arrangement...you need the rubber boot or cup and clamp...see Items 5 and 6:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=21&fg=51

Maybe the clamp just needs tightening?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Jack Ethridge
    I have an 83 R100RT and thought i had a leaking seal at the clutch rod so i replaced the seal. That didn't solve the problem. the oil was coming from the crank case vent and running down. I split the vent with a T and two small hoses and vented the vent into each carb. Solved the leak

Jack Ethridge
    Ocala Fl.

After disassembly of the actuator, I see that there is a small hole in the cup/boot. The clamp may have been a bit loose, but I think the cup/boot is the problem. We'll see. Once that is repaired, I'll let you know if any more problems arise. Thanks so much to you both.

For now, can you rotate the boot 180 degrees so the hole/crack is on top?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Yes. Matter of fact, I repaired the two small holes with what I consider a very good flexible sealant. It is Suzuki 1207B silicone gasket, in a tube. It is used in the reassembly of crankcase halves, etc. It seems to be very flexible, but tenacious stuff. So after cleaning the cup/boot thoroughly, I have applied the sealant and will allow it dry overnight before assembly. In the meantime, I have cleaned up that area of the bike, as well as greased up the thrust bearing and the needle bearing in the release arm. This leak may have been a blessing in disguise, as the release arm bearing was pretty seized up with gunk and the rollers were not turning too easily. So, a thorough cleaning and regreasing of that bearing and pivot.