Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wethead has arrived....

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
    This is a German bike. The preferred liquid is the tears of our enemies.
    Now THAT was funny.

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    I can't wait for the question of what glycol water does one use and the answers here on the forum.
    Where ya' been. We started a "dreaded water thread" weeks ago:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62618
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

BMW says full line of accessories will be available for a full farklization for enduro, dirt/asphalt, and touring. Did you really think they'd let Touratech and Wunderlich and others get all the accessorization dollars and euros???

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    I can't wait for the question of what glycol water does one use and the answers here on the forum.

Keep up man.

Now that the Wethead has been released at Intermot Med Wet will be moving into the final phases of our preparation for and roll out of emergency liquid response program to meet the discerning needs of this community.

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post

Now that the Wethead has been released at Intermot Med Wet will be moving into the final phases of our preparation for and roll out of emergency liquid response program to meet the discerning needs of this community.

Let the "best coolant" threads begin..............................
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post

I don't think Ian had posted all his pictures before we started getting FDF comments. That's why Med Wet will be supplying a variety of coolants compliant with the BMW specifications to meet the needs of our customers. Have to give those - 'best coolant' thread - participants and readers something to talk about.

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Wow. Interesting bike on a lot of levels. From a mechanical engineering standpoint, I like it. From an aesthetic standpoint, well...

Don't get me wrong here, I've always been one of those freaks who LIKE the looks of GSes; hell, I even think the previous incarnations of R1200GS were downright SEXY. I even loved the beak!

But the beak on this one looks like some sort of mean, ill-intended insect proboscis, and the black butresses on either side of the headlight rather exacerbate the effect, as do those two jutting protrusions on either side of the tank. That exhaust-can is major fugly too; BMW must be in collusion with the aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. Other than those points, it's OK. And I'm sure that it will be a HOOT'N A HALF to ride!

I wait with bated breath on pricing info too. I was bike-shopping recently and apparently there's been no recession at BMW!

EDIT: and Kudos to BMW for not ratcheting up the displacement. The constant u-spiraling of motorbike engine sizes has been getting almost ridiculous lately.
    Bikeless for now...but not for much longer!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

" the secondary drive now runs via the well-established cardan shaft"

Is this a good thing?
    What did it run before if it's well established?

I like the orange coolant since it reminds me of a creamsicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Keep up man.

I wonder if sponges have been added to the tool kits.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrugg View Post
    I wonder if sponges have been added to the tool kits.
    You mean the Emergency Coolant Recapture System - ECRS ?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    I wait with bated breath on pricing info too. I was bike-shopping recently and apparently there's been no recession at BMW!
    yeah, indeed.

I think I've been priced out of new BMW motorcycle ownership.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    BTDT, should hang out at the K forums more often, PS they finally got the shaft on the correct side on the R bikes
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

I hope BMW has a winner here, but I'm going to wait and see.

It will be very interesting to see how the new GS model turns out. There are soooooo many changes. I'm not so sure I would experiment with water cooling and all the other changes on my best selling model when the current version is so popular. I would have made a second version of the R1200R and watercooled it with a few extra horses and experiment with it for a few years.
    And the price????

Even now people freak out when they are a little low on oil on a road trip. Think how freaked they'll be in the middle of nowhere and they spring a water leak. BMW should issue some surplus military shovels with the model so when the water leaks out, you can start digging. Will Perrier work?

E.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    I hope BMW has a winner here, but I'm going to wait and see.

It will be very interesting to see how the new GS model turns out. There are soooooo many changes. I'm not so sure I would experiment with water cooling and all the other changes on my best selling model when the current version is so popular. I would have made a second version of the R1200R and watercooled it with a few extra horses and experiment with it for a few years.
    And the price????

Even now people freak out when they are a little low on oil on a road trip. Think how freaked they'll be in the middle of nowhere and they spring a water leak. BMW should issue some surplus military shovels with the model so when the water leaks out, you can start digging.

E.

This is similar to what they said about Ford when they decided to go with the Ecoboost V6 engine in their best selling F-150. People said a V6 couldn't take the loads and that pick-up owners would not buy it over the traditional V8. The engine has proven to be very reliable and they can't keep up with demand for the engine. I think 40%+ of the F-150s sold are sold with the Ecoboost.

Regarding water leaks. From what I understand, they are replacing the oil cooling with water cooling. Why would water be more likely to leak than oil? Water leaks have not been an issue with ATVs that converted from air to water cooling several years ago (and they are abused far worse than the GS)? Water leaks have not been a problem on cars, trucks, jeeps, tractors, etc. that have been water cooled for over a century.

I have and have had John Deere lawn equipment. 3 were air cooled and two were water cooled (Kawasaki). The air cooled engines used a little oil over the summer but neither of the water cooled engines used any oil the entire summer. Water cooling allows closer tolerances because the heat range is not as great.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

i know i'm an old fart but i still think..

...that a retro bmw motorcycle with a state of the art drive train would sell very well.....
    Last edited by f14rio; 10-05-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750