Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New 2013 R 1200 GS

Dixie, the land of cotton

Hard to "cash in chips" when you don't have a buyer

Could you imagine the answer I would have to give to a potential buyer that asked if I have ever had any problems with the bike?

Not an easy sale.

Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    Could you imagine the answer I would have to give to a potential buyer that asked if I have ever had any problems with the bike?

Not an easy sale.
    Trade it in and take the loss.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    But if you do any research you will find that a much higher percent of early build 1200gs had seal problems.
    Yep. And the majority of those seal issues were fixed once. My tranny in and out seals were replaced under warranty about 45K miles ago. The replacement wasn't a big deal. Brought the bike in about 7:30 one morning and swapped it for a loaner. Picked the bike up before 6 PM that same day. No seal issues since.

Dixie, the land of cotton

Glad yours was fixed quickly marchyman.

Bloodworth took 4 months to repair, I flew in and picked it up, road it 20 miles and the counterbalance shaft bearing went out. Took it back to Bloodworth they promptly ordered the needed parts and this time repaired it in one day. Said that they did not has a loaner.
    So the bike is in the shop for 4 months and then last 20 miles. It is not totally Bloodworth's fault, I have had other dealers work on it and the seals keep going bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    How much $?

If you have to ask...

Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    If you have to ask...

If I could afford a new RT, I could afford whatever the GS costs, BUT, I am curious as I wonder if it is cheaper as I'd bet they have outsourced a lot of stuff to non-german manufacturers, meaning it may be assembled in Germany, but it wasn't made there...
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Any thoughts on when the R and RT get the motor...

Quote Originally Posted by 12886 View Post
    If history is any indicator the RT would be next and most likely as a 2014 model. The R has always been the last model to get upgrades. It may happen in late 2014. However, European economic conditions could slow things down.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Happy to see the new bike is designed to run on e-gas. Even if only 10%, it is a move in the right direction. While I have yet to see one of these in person, I like what I'm seeing so far. It appears BMW has really tried to take this bike to the next level. I'm not in the market for a new GSA, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with when that model is introduced.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    Happy to see the new bike is designed to run on e-gas. Even if only 10%, it is a move in the right direction. .
    From the context of the press release, I'm interpreting "e-gas" as the BMW term for the electronic, throttle by wire system. That is, the "e" does NOT refer to ethanol in any way.

"E-gas and cruise control.
    An electromotive throttle actuator is now used for the first time in a GS motorcycle. Here, rider commands are passed on directly by the sensor in the accelerator twist grip to the engine control system; this then regulates the throttle valve electronically. The use of the E-gas system provides a significant improvement in terms of controllability and response. What is more, the rider can adapt engine characteristics to the situation on the road by means of five modes (optional extra). It was also possible to include an electronic cruise control function (optional extra)."

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by 12886 View Post
    My *guess,* based on past practice, is 6 months to a year later, as a 2014 model.

I'm *keenly* interested in how the RT turns out, as the new head of Motorcycles in the US stated in Sedalia that the RT is the "most changed" of all the new models.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

KevinRT
    Having just replaced the final drive on my 08 RT with only 50,000 km, the big question is: Will the new boxers have a final drive that is not prone to premature failure? Unless the new bikes accummulate a respectable service record re final drives, I won't be buying one. Or any other BMW for that matter.
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada

Rally Rat
    I ride a 12 R1200R. Won't be buying a bike soon.

E gas to me means drive by wire. As in no throttle cable.

Final drive? Did they switch to the one used on K bikes like the 6 banger? Is it better?

I would hesitate to buy the untested model.

I like the rest of what they have done.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DROOT153718 View Post
    E gas to me means drive by wire. As in no throttle cable.
    Correct. BMW uses the term E-gas to describe the throttle by wire system -- same term they used with the K16.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

New R1200GS

What is the seat height?

Are they still building the GS for people with 36 inch inseams or can those of us who are vertically challenged with 28 inch inseams be accommodated with a low seat that will enable us to flat foot a BMW bike?

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White