Thread: Clutch question?

Clutch question?

I just have a question about how far the clutch lever should be pulled before the clutch would release?
    I have a 2001 R1150gs with 39000 miles on it. I did a spline lube at 35000 miles and its always been like this, I dont have to pull the lever more than a half inch and it release right away.
    My son have a 2004 R1150gs with 50000 miles on it and on his bike I have to pull the lever at least half way through the travel before it will release.
    I'm just curious to now why there is such a difference? The clutch plate measured ok when I did the spline lube, but its been like that for as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by sarelp View Post
    I just have a question about how far the clutch lever should be pulled before the clutch would release?
    I have a 2001 R1150gs with 39000 miles on it. I did a spline lube at 35000 miles and its always been like this, I dont have to pull the lever more than a half inch and it release right away.
    My son have a 2004 R1150gs with 50000 miles on it and on his bike I have to pull the lever at least half way through the travel before it will release.
    I'm just curious to now why there is such a difference? The clutch plate measured ok when I did the spline lube, but its been like that for as long as I can remember.
    Are they both hydraulic clutch actuation or is his a cable?

If his is hydraulic I think there is air in the system and that the fluid should be flushed and the system bled.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

They are both hydraulic. I know mine is bled out with new fluid. Which one is normal?