Thread: Chicago to Boston

Chicago to Boston

I'm trying to plan a trip from suburban Chicago to suburban Boston. I like taking two lane roads over the interstate but don't want to be wandering just to find scenic routes. I looked at the map and plotted a way across Indiana and Ohio on US 6 but not sure how to go through Pennsylvania and New York. I would appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT

I would take Rt. 30 from Valaparaiso to Canton OH. then take Rt 62 into Allegheny National Forest and then take Rt 6 across PA into NY.
    Trying to get across Cleveland will be miserable on rt 6.
    Rt 30 is a mix of two lane and 4 lane limited access.
    Rt 62 is mostly 2 lane.
    The Cannonball that was just run from NY to Cali came across northern PA on Rt. 6.
    Jim McGill
    '87 K100RS
    '04 R1150RT

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    US 6 isn't bad across Pennsylvania, but I did it on a Sunday. It will take you to Provincetown if you stay on it and there are some decent sections in RI and CT and MA, but I've only done bits of it.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

PA turnpk

FWIW I caged thru PA last year and the PA Turnpike is waaay not like the slab here in IL. Kinda pretty, kinda hilly/curve-y, and fast.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

US 6 in OH and IN pretty much sucks. It is better in PA.

PA Turnpike is a major pain now. Construction from one end to the other plus they have raised the rates a bunch. It will cost you about $100 each way.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

what about heading to Detroit, go thru Ontario to Buffalo, then find some nice roads thru the Finger Lakes and the Adirondacks, and then into the Berkshires?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    PA Turnpike is a major pain now. Construction from one end to the other plus they have raised the rates a bunch. It will cost you about $100 each way.
    Jeff
    holy crap. after I'd thought about my post re the PA turnpike, i realized that what i MEANT was that if the slab is that curvy/twisty/hilly/fast, the two lanes nearby (w/o actually having driven them) must be awesome.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Curious about the northern route bikerfish suggested .. Seems like the ontario part could be more relaxed than Rt 6, you'd hit Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, Adirondack Park, and either fly straight in on the Mass Pike after Albany, or stay a bit north from the Adirondacks and go through Vermont and down from there. Google map puts that route at only about 2 hours longer than through Pa. I've done only the eastern half of that--Buffalo to Boston, and if you stay off the slab it's a nice ride. I'd avoid the NYState throughway if possible, but. . can someone comment on the ride through Ontario?
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

haven't been thru there in a few decades, but as i recall it's fairly flat, farms and light woodlands, small towns, etc. Pleasant enough, but nothing real special. kind of similar to the same region south of the border, but a bit less congested, eh? but it does set you up nicely for a pretty run thru upstate NY (much of which is similar to the PA/NY region to the south, but also less congested/developed). depending upon time, there are some nice places to visit in the Finger Lakes region (numerous wineries, Watkins Glen race track, Ausable Chasms, etc.). And most any road thru Adirondack Park will be pretty sweet.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Delaware.Dave
    New York Route 20 or Route 5 are both great East-West roads for Motorcycles. The best part is, if you have to make up time, you can always jump onto the nearby NYS Thruway. From there, Massachusetts or Vermont await, both with nice roads.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    haven't been thru there in a few decades, but as i recall it's fairly flat, farms and light woodlands, small towns, etc. Pleasant enough, but nothing real special. kind of similar to the same region south of the border, but a bit less congested, eh? but it does set you up nicely for a pretty run thru upstate NY (much of which is similar to the PA/NY region to the south, but also less congested/developed). depending upon time, there are some nice places to visit in the Finger Lakes region (numerous wineries, Watkins Glen race track, Ausable Chasms, etc.). And most any road thru Adirondack Park will be pretty sweet.
    Having once lived in Ontario, I concur. Just one course correction - Ausable Chasm is in upstate New York which may or may not be part of your route planning. If it IS in your plan, Route 3 from Watertown through Lake Placid and Ausable Chasm is fun and, at this time of year, beautiful - if not a bit chilly.

Have a great trip.

The trip

Thank you all for your great suggestions and help. My trip has been postponed for a bit but I'm still planning to ride that way. Good idea about going through Canada. I did that some time ago in the car and it seemed to be a nice trip if not terribly exciting. Makes me go and renew my passport.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT