Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reasonably Priced Beer!

Cheap Beer

I almost always go to a place that has beer for around $3-4. I like craft or imported style beers and figured it I get 2 $3-4.00. If it is $1 or 2, I might drink too many and it would be something like Bud Light or Coors (which suck IMO). Give me a Flat Tire or some good craft beer. No one needs more then 2 beers on a MC.

I am always amazed that some one riding on a near $20000 bike, wearing $700 dollar outfit, paying $4.00 for gas wants good cold $.50 beer. I want gas at $1.00 a gallon, roads smooth and clean, a good place to rest, and good fair priced for a couple of beers.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    I would like to wade into this fray, if I might.

Just measured the Howlin at the Moon rally cup. It is 18 ounces to the rim. Randy and I have always made it a point to ask all volunteers to 'fill it up", no foam. We encourage rally mugs to cut down on waste, and thus, the incentive to the rally-goer is built in.
    I believe that this is the 3rd year that we have gone to the $1.50 / ticket pricing.
    Possibly Johnson City also, not sure.
    Please consider what has happened to all costs of manufacturing in the last 4 years.
    Coors Lite, and Miller Lite are a bargain at $1.50
    We made a conscious decision to have the Pilsner micro-brew at $1.50 as a quality, low cost alternative.
    Porter/Stout is the most expensive to brew, and thus to us. Yet again, consider 16-18 ounces of micro-brew for $3.00. Been to a ski area lately?
    Sure, the "private charity organization' sold beer cheaply. They also had NO OTHER OVERHEAD to cover. I doubt that the OUTLAWS played pro bono publico!
    So, please consider the profit as the "benefit" to the membership that you wish. Otherwise, maybe beer at cost, and t-shirts at cost, and rally tickets at $75 to cover costs like a bike give-away as a prize. All I'm saying is that there are always trade-offs.
    Lastly, there is NOT an endless supply of "wooden nickles", especially not to the "worthy". I can guarantee that there is NOT a line of the BOD, ambassadors, vendors, and other cognescenti getting free beer.
    One more point, been out to eat in a restaurant lately? Way different from a year ago.
    Thank you for letting me present a different viewpoint, and reading it with an open mind.

MAD DOG
    National Rally Beer Chair
    Thanks!

I went a Gateway Grizzlies game this summer and a 12oz bud light was $5!

Thanks to your leadership and a lot of other volunteers, we get to enjoy a beer or two w/o having to leave the rally grounds. Well done.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

ahem.... if the cost is too much for the amount you receive, you could always forgo drinking beer....

Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

It ain't gonna kill ya not to drink beer....... just sayin.......

How Many????

I've only been to one national and that was Johnson City and only for one day being this was part of a continuing trip but we stopped in the beer tent and consumed two beers and then moved on to see the rest of the sites.
    My question is; how may beers does the average rally goer drink a day to make a reasonable priced beer such a contentious issue and if it is so many that it is a make or brake deal for going to the rally or not then maybe you need to take a serious look at your daily consumption. GET HELP!!
    Mo Shaffer
    Maggie valley NC,
    St. George, BM

Quote Originally Posted by moshaffer View Post
    I've only been to one national and that was Johnson City and only for one day being this was part of a continuing trip but we stopped in the beer tent and consumed two beers and then moved on to see the rest of the sites.
    My question is; how may beers does the average rally goer drink a day to make a reasonable priced beer such a contentious issue and if it is so many that it is a make or brake deal for going to the rally or not then maybe you need to take a serious look at your daily consumption. GET HELP!!
    I paid $9.50 for a 22-oz Sam Adams' something or the other last week in the Providence airport. A Spaten Octoberfest costs $4.50 at my local hoagie and pizza shop.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I like beer, I like good beer.

After a day's ride I'm kinda like this...

Comparing beer prices at an Airport or sports stadium to beer prices at our club rally is an apples to oranges kinda thing (I don't think Vince's salary is in the millions).

Personally, I was on the road for three weeks, and about 4500 miles. I was at the rally site for 5 nights and 4 days. I spent more on craft beer from the market than I did in the beer tent. It was a budget consideration for me.
    Last edited by rdalland; 10-08-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Most people used the rally mug and I think it was 20 oz.
    Rally Mug was 14 oz.

Just measured the rally mug AGAIN!
    It is 18 liquid ounces to the brim
    Please review my earlier post.

MAD DOG
    Nat Rally Beer Chair

Just measured the rally mug AGAIN!
    It is 18 liquid ounces to the brim
    Please review my earlier post.

MAD DOG
    Nat Rally Beer Chair
    My bad...

I didn't keep the Sedalia rally mug, all the other rally mugs I have are 14oz. I stand corrected.

*Just dug a little deeper into my collection. The Johnson City, TN rally mug was 20+ oz.
    Last edited by rdalland; 10-09-2012 at 12:07 PM.

I've always become a abstainer(booze & food) while attending events like pro sports & such that feature beer/food sold by the mafia. Just doesn't taste the same when it's "an arm & a leg"! If you don't like the price, maybe go to Wally World on the way & put some in your cases. When gear is in your tent place ice/beer in top case & enjoy. You could even carry some cheapo brewski's to the tent for social hour.
    Road tip of the day,r.e. carrying beer on a bike: Beware of drastic changes in altitude & perhaps the twist top bottles too as I have had the stuff "fizz off" in my top case in the Mexico mtns. Makes for pissy smelling tools & gear.

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    My bad...

I didn't keep the Sedalia rally mug, all the other rally mugs I have are 14oz. I stand corrected.

*Just dug a little deeper into my collection. The Johnson City, TN rally mug was 20+ oz.
    Thank you for coming back to the thread on this issue, and helping to support the BG's position of fair beer pricing.

MAD DOG
    Nat Beer Chair

and helping to support the BG's position of fair beer pricing.

I think I'll bring my Tennessee rally mug to the next MOA rally I attend.

I recall one customer at the beer tent? (barn) in Bloomsburg being told by the Bartender/server that "only the current year's mug would be acceptable for filling.

In my meager collection of rally mugs I find that the Gillette, Wy. cup to be the most generous at 20 oz.

Rally Rat
    18oz or 20 oz, $3 or $4...What a bunch of complaining old guys. Typical rally whiners.