Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonably Priced Beer!

Reasonably Priced Beer!

I've been dissapointed at the last few rallies! It seems like the price of Beer keeps going up and serving size goes down. This year a good micro-brewed beer was two tickets ($3.00) and for a 12-14 oz glass(depending on pour). Can't the MOA do better than that? Beer sales should benefit the membership at these "Hot" rallies and not be a big profit for the club!...especially with the endless supply of "Wooden Nickels" that benefit only the worthy. Was at the "RA Rally a couple years ago. They had a private charity organization sell and serve the Beer (no volunteers needed) for a 22 ounce mug at $2.50!

Craft Beer price

I thought 3 dollars was a good deal. I think one of the lighter craft beers was only 1 ticket. I was all over that deal. Being a home brewer I understand what goes into making a quality beer.

Ken Denton

Quote Originally Posted by rockers View Post
    This year a good micro-brewed beer was two tickets ($3.00) and for a 12-14 oz glass(depending on pour). !
    Most people used the rally mug and I think it was 20 oz.
    I was thakfull I did not have to gear up in that heat and ride off the grounds in search of beer.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Well, Bob, you can have good beer, or you can have cheap beer, but you can't get good cheap beer.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Wooden nickels

Those wooden nickels were given out to volunteers. I know the guys who worked 4 hour shifts with us in the sign placement office got one. I call that a great bargain for the organization. I had two people give me their tokens because they did not drink. I will not mention how much money I spent in addition to my tokens.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

rally beer prices

There was a grocery store with a good beer selection right across the street from the rally grounds. Nothing to stop you from going there if you didn't like the prices or selection.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by rockers View Post
    This year a good micro-brewed beer was two tickets ($3.00) and for a 12-14 oz glass(depending on pour).
    Um, you said it was good, be glad it was good.
    I guess you're not a 'glass half full' type of guy are you? Pun intended.

The last rally (not MOA, but a BMW Rally) I was at it was $4.00 for a micro brew..I said no thanks..they said it was very good beer....no difference to me. It's insane markup for beer and even soft drinks at some events.

I'll go to the store for good beer instead.
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Been to a professional sporting event lately?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Been to a professional sporting event lately?
    I've worked part-time for a large vendor for the past 14 years, I do not sell beer, I supervise the bartenders and beer sellers and monitor the customers to make sure everyone is behaving responsibly... and I know they pay 50 cents for that beer they then sell for $8.50 to $10. And at each NFL game at my stadium they sell 100,000 beers. And they still cry they don't make much profit at games! And don't get me started on the $4.00 bottle of water or $10 cotton candy.....

So, a fresh $3 micro-brew is a good deal, IMO, as opposed to the $8.50 or sometimes $10 stored in a warm warehouse Coors Light that's served at my stadium. And if there was a profit involved it went to the MOA! Which benefits all the rally goes and all of us members!
    Last edited by ClassicVW; 10-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.

I guess they figger that if we can afford $26K for a new 1600 GTL, we can afford the beer.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Come on up to Toronto to a Baseball Game and sample a beer for $12.

I would gladly pay $3.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

I would like to wade into this fray, if I might.

Just measured the Howlin at the Moon rally cup. It is 18 ounces to the rim. Randy and I have always made it a point to ask all volunteers to 'fill it up", no foam. We encourage rally mugs to cut down on waste, and thus, the incentive to the rally-goer is built in.
    I believe that this is the 3rd year that we have gone to the $1.50 / ticket pricing.
    Possibly Johnson City also, not sure.
    Please consider what has happened to all costs of manufacturing in the last 4 years.
    Coors Lite, and Miller Lite are a bargain at $1.50
    We made a conscious decision to have the Pilsner micro-brew at $1.50 as a quality, low cost alternative.
    Porter/Stout is the most expensive to brew, and thus to us. Yet again, consider 16-18 ounces of micro-brew for $3.00. Been to a ski area lately?
    Sure, the "private charity organization' sold beer cheaply. They also had NO OTHER OVERHEAD to cover. I doubt that the OUTLAWS played pro bono publico!
    So, please consider the profit as the "benefit" to the membership that you wish. Otherwise, maybe beer at cost, and t-shirts at cost, and rally tickets at $75 to cover costs like a bike give-away as a prize. All I'm saying is that there are always trade-offs.
    Lastly, there is NOT an endless supply of "wooden nickles", especially not to the "worthy". I can guarantee that there is NOT a line of the BOD, ambassadors, vendors, and other cognescenti getting free beer.
    One more point, been out to eat in a restaurant lately? Way different from a year ago.
    Thank you for letting me present a different viewpoint, and reading it with an open mind.

MAD DOG
    National Rally Beer Chair

Quality counts

I would like to thank Mad Dog and everyone involved in the selection of the beer and the fast, courteous, FULL pours that we enjoyed.

I am betting that "charity" beer vendor came in with the cheap crap...Bud light is NOT real beer. At $2.50/cup, they were likely making more profit than was made at BMWMOA.

The premium draws I drank at Sedalia [and I drank a lot] were VERY good.

Perhaps we should start serving wine at the rally so it could match up with the whine.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Does anybody remember Redmond the last time? Granted there was good beer, but it was pricier than what is the norm for our rallies. And to think we got a break on the price because our volunteers were serving. That is one of the primary reasons that we have volunteer servers, to help keep the cost to the customer down. One other item that is being overlooked is that more possible venues are contracted with their "providers". So I can see it coming where we will not be in charge of the biergarten anymore, and you'll pay what "they" charge or find it elsewhere. Or go without.

Kinda makes one wonder why folks go to the rally in the first place.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair