Thread: Fed up with these clowns

Hybrid View

Fed up with these clowns

I have taken my bike to the local dealership here in Colorado Springs several times now, twice for warranty service and they just cant seem to get the basic professionalism piece right. The first time I took it in at 4500 miles because the clutch reservoir had been dripping on the paint and the panel paint had worn off the center where it meets the black fuel tank cover had worn off which is totally unacceptable for that few miles on a bike.

The problem is that these clowns kept the bike for a week the first time I took it in. once I got tired of waiting for so much as a phone call to update me on the status of my bike. When I called them they were of course "just about to call me"(yeah right after 6 days) only to find out that they didnt even have the new parts in stock yet and didnt expect them in for at least 10 days. I ride daily so I asked them to give the bike back to me so I could get around since they had no idea when things would actually get done.

So 2.5 weeks later I stopped into the dealership because they had a nice used SV 650 I was interested in. While there I stopped into the service section to see what was up. Amazingly they were "just about to call me" to let me know the parts were in. Stunning coincidence in know. I then scheduled an appt 3 weeks out because that was the first thing they had. I also confirmed that it would be a 1 day job and that I could pick it up the next day.

3 weeks later I dropped the bike off on a Wed night for its Thurs appt and confirmed it would be ready by Thurs afternoon. They stated that it might be Friday as one of the techs had a family emergency. I said that is fine but to call me thurs afternoon to confirm and they agreed. So I finally got a call at 2pm on Friday to tell me the bike wasnt ready because one of the new panels had a scratch. When I asked if I could come take the bike rather than wait 2 more weeks for parts without my bike. This time they refused because the bike was apart and oh yeah some of the parts for the clutch master somehow hadn't come with the replacement parts from Germany.

So they had 6 freaking weeks to make sure the parts were all there and in good condition and still could get their trash in order.

As you can guess still have no bike and more importantly no idea when I will get it back. I am sick of this garbage. I purchased a BMW motorcycle and I think I deserve better service than this.

Someone please help me find a good shop in Colorado Springs, CO for major items. I like to do my own maint but need a shop for things like valves and tire changes. I dont care if its independent but I need someone who gives a S*** about the customer and wants to keep getting my money. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Wow. And I thought the dealer in Vancouver was bad! Good luck. Sorry can't help you with your request.
    Cowboy at Heart, info@meet-moringa.com
    All in one Nutrition. Energy. Weight loss. Skin Care.
    www.Meet-Moringa.com For optimum health, energy & beauty.

There are a few other shops up in Denver that have a good reputation.

Frankly, I thought the Colorado Springs dealer had a good reputation, too.

From some market research I did... here are some other possibilities:

BMW of Denver
    2910 S. Havana Street
    Aurora CO 80014
    303-755-6400
    http://www.bmwofdenver.com/

Bavarian Motorcycles West
    2312 S. Delaware St.
    Denver, CO 80223
    720-570-2044
    (Service by Appointment Only)

Foothills BMW/Triumph
    1435 Wadsworth
    Lakewood CO 80214
    303-202-1400
    http://www.foothillsbmw.com/

Supertune Motorsports
    Mike Schweitzer, Owner
    4420 Allison Street
    Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
    303-495-3290
    supertune@comcast.net
    http://www.supertunemotorsports.com/

Colorado Powerports (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki)
    1880 55th St.
    Boulder, CO 80301
    303-447-3500

Mikes Motorcycle- Parts & Service
    1730 38th Ave.
    Boulder, CO 80301
    303-443-9350
    www.mikesmotorcycle.com/

Northern Colorado Euro Cycles
    (Ducati/BMW/Husqvarna/Triumph)
    6002 Byrd Drive
    Loveland CO 80538
    970-679-1600/1-888-504-6466
    http://www.coloradoeuro.com/

Beemers & More Motorcycle Works
    800 Stockton Ave.
    Fort Collins, CO 80524
    Phone:970-221-1014
    www.beemersandmore.com

Sorry you're having that hassle.

Ian.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

I appreciate the responses and thanks for the research. Unfortunately I really need someone here local. Does anyone know someone local or even mind sharing tools and expertise? Thanks again

It kills me that I would have to go pay $450 (I asked them) for tires at the dealership when I can get the same tires delivered to my door for $315. In case you were thinking that includes installation at the dealership you would be wrong. For that they wanted another $160-200 give or take. I am willing to pay a bit of a premium for BMW services but not 50% or more and definately not for the service I am getting.

yes, tires (and most other things) are more expensive when you purchase them at a dealer. nature of the beast. same will be true for buying car parts vs. going to Autozone.
    if the tire price from your dealer is too expensive, shop around, and find a better price from a local dealer (other brand), or on the interweb. if you go for on-line purchasing, be sure to ask in advance to find someone locally that will mount them for you, and what they will charge for that service. many shops will not even mount internet tires (they want you to pay their markup). i (& many others) resolved the tire issue by buying our own tire mounting equipment, and just dealing with it ourselves.
    $160-200 is a high price for mounting tires, and totally exorbitant if it is done as "bring your wheels & tires to us" as opposed to "give us the bike, and we'll give you back the bike with new sneakers on it."
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Colorado does not have a lemon law for motorcycles. I bet if they did you would get better service.

They may be in breech of some other laws. they should get you a loaner bike.

Rod

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post
    Wow. And I thought the dealer in Vancouver was bad! Good luck. Sorry can't help you with your request.
    Off topic but which one? There are two in the area.

you could call BMW Mottorad about your issues, dealers hate it when this happens.
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Thanks All

Appreciate the support.

Like I said I am willing to pay some premium for BMW services and products but 50% is absurd and unjustifiable given that there is this magnificent tool called the internet where I can search the competition (I hesitate to use the term in this case though).

I will be filing a complaint with Motorad AFTER I get my bike back and can cease doing business with these guys. I am understanding of some errors and even appreciative in many circumstances. Having spent the last half decade in the Marine Corps I have to learned to trust others to get the job done even if its not the way I would do it. What I am not willing to deal with is the lack of professionality and inability to learn from previous mistakes. If I ask you to notify me about the status of my bike at a certain time it is unaccaptable to call me 24 hours later when I would have been picking it up had I not been behind schedule. More importantly I know when I am being lied to and I sincerely doubt that the new panel had a scratch but rather that the problem was they forgot to get all the necessary parts to complete the clutch master swap. Which of course points to a lack of professionalism/preparedness and un-BMW level of service. Had it been once I would have happily written it off but we are on strike 3+ here and I am finished and ready to NJP someone

Quote Originally Posted by TeKnophile View Post
    Appreciate the support.

Like I said I am willing to pay some premium for BMW services and products but 50% is absurd and unjustifiable given that there is this magnificent tool called the internet where I can search the competition (I hesitate to use the term in this case though).

I will be filing a complaint with Motorad AFTER I get my bike back and can cease doing business with these guys. I am understanding of some errors and even appreciative in many circumstances. Having spent the last half decade in the Marine Corps I have to learned to trust others to get the job done even if its not the way I would do it. What I am not willing to deal with is the lack of professionality and inability to learn from previous mistakes. If I ask you to notify me about the status of my bike at a certain time it is unaccaptable to call me 24 hours later when I would have been picking it up had I not been behind schedule. More importantly I know when I am being lied to and I sincerely doubt that the new panel had a scratch but rather that the problem was they forgot to get all the necessary parts to complete the clutch master swap. Which of course points to a lack of professionalism/preparedness and un-BMW level of service. Had it been once I would have happily written it off but we are on strike 3+ here and I am finished and ready to NJP someone
    Unfortunately, you might want to change your philosophy from "trust others" to Trust Marines. In a free market system like ours either buyer beware, or buyer be sorry.

It has come to the point that when I buy a new bike or car; I do as much research about the dealer as I do about the product.

I'm behind you on sending the letter to BMW NA. If they can't handle the truth - that's their problem.

Good luck; you deserve better service.

E.