Thread: service by non bmw dealership?

Less is more.

service by non bmw dealership?

I'm thinking about trading my C14 for an F700gs. My schedule no longer permits me to spend the amount of time I was spending on my g650 going to the dealership 1:30 away. Does anyone get their bike serviced at a non-bmw dealership? What are the considerations for this?

I don't have the space to do any basic maintenance myself (condo garage), not to mention the skills.

Thanks
    SH

Douglas Williams
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    Absoutely ++

How far is it to Yardley, PA for you?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Motorcycleton
    Other than a couple of recall or warranty related items for my only newly purchased BMW (94 R11RS) my service work is done in a non-BMW dealership garage - usually my own.

The mechanic that generally works on my bikes sometimes makes mistakes. The mistakes are treated as a learning experience - education isn't cheap, but ignorance is very expensive! I am satisfied by this arrangement.

I try and do as much of the service on my bike as I can. I document everything that was done, including saving receipts,
    I you have another shop service/work on it save those papers
    US warrenty laws do not require you have dealer service bike or car

Global Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Absoutely ++

How far is it to Yardley, PA for you?
    Concur ++
    Yardley is 'bout 45 min from center city Phila

another good "non-dealer" option is
    http://www.eckenhoff.com/bmwcycleservice.html
    right across the bridge from Phila, in Cherry Hill NJ

Between Tom C & Rob K, you have the best non-dealer BMW techs in mid-Atlantic.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelh View Post
    I don't have the space to do any basic maintenance myself (condo garage), not to mention the skills.
    Compared to larger vehicles, motorcycles are pretty easy to work on yourself, especially with the guidance available on forums like this.

I had absolutely no motorcycle maintenance experience when I bought a used K bike one year ago and have done a bunch of work on it myself in my carport using Clymers and the web for information.

I remember how clueless and worried I was when I first started working on it, and now those tasks seem about as complicated as hanging a picture on the wall.

Jump in. Earn some confidence. Save some money.

some dealerships wil decline to work on bmw's.

ntxt
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelh View Post
    I'm thinking about trading my C14 for an F700gs. My schedule no longer permits me to spend the amount of time I was spending on my g650 going to the dealership 1:30 away. Does anyone get their bike serviced at a non-bmw dealership? What are the considerations for this?

Thanks
    SH
    If your schedule didn't permit time before than from the sounds of it you are even less able to do it now and also don't have the skills or a place to learn them so you can do some of the maintenance yourself. If that's the case then you'd best stick with a bike that has a dealership nearby.

You might be able to find a BMW support group nearby that would help teach you, and you'll have to search that one out. Many on this site can give you contacts in your area if thats your wish.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650