Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1985 K100RS throttle cable

Rally Rat
    Check the throttle switch. If they are adjusted improperly, they can hold the throttle open.

Question 1985 K100RS throttle cable

I dug into the mysteries of my bike's throttle cable non-return after work. Turns out it was a problem of my own creation - imagine that ;-) I discovered that the plastic cap that covers the twist grip throttle gear, when tightened too much, becomes a poor man's cruise control! I simply backed off the screw that retains the cap and all was well. I wish all my problems were so easily resolved!
    I don't mean to highjack my own thread, but I'd like to take advantage of the broad and deep knowledge found here with another related mystery. Inasmuch as I had the left fairing inner panel off, I decided to check the mechanism that lifts the throttle a tad when the "choke" is activated. My Haynes manual states that in the "choke's" first position, the stop should raise 1mm. Mine measures far less. The manual further states that adjustment is made at the cable. There is no obvious adjuster on the cable - unless it's buried down around the far side of the throttle bodies. Furthermore, the point at which the measurement is made has an adjustment provision as if it were a lever on a carburetor idle arm. What's one to make of this??? The point where you can measure the lift can be adjusted, but that wouldn't actually make any change in the amount the throttle bodies are signaled to go to fast idle mode, as during cold starts.
    No doubt I'm missing something obvious here, but I sure don't know what it is.

Rally Rat
    The choke cable on my K75 ends up on the far right of the throttle bodies, near the TPS. The adjustment there at the cable's end should be obvious to you.

1985 k100rs

Tim, the K75 is a bit different from the K100; the part is question is between throttle bodies 2 and 3. Life would no doubt be simpler if it was mounted out there by the TPS, but....

3 Red Bricks
    Walt,

The THROTTLE cable and idle stop are between #2 and #3. The CHOKE cable and adjuster are at the right hand end between #4 and the throttle position switch.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

K100rs

When out and had another look. Yep, of course you're correct. How could I miss that?
    I'm gonna go lie down 'til my meds kick in.