Thread: '91 K100 LT - Brakes ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN

'91 K100 LT - Brakes ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN

Here in Minnesota we're having a GREAT weekend of riding. Got my wife to come along as we spent some time in the county and along the Mississippi river. The problem happened when we were coming back into town.

REAR BRAKE - I stopped at a light, no problem. Went another 1mile and was going to stop at a 4-way and had NO back brake, front worked so was able to stop. I was close to home, parked it. Saw no fluid and did a quick check of things. Rear light would come on but it felt like there was NO pressure on the foot pedal. We were heading to dinner so I just lift it and we took the cage. Later that evening I stepped on the foot brake and there was pressure, just like always.

So where do I start to figure out this rear brake issue?

thanks

The first step is to bleed the brakes and change the brake fluid. Then see what you have. If that fails to cure the problem you probably have a bad piston cup in the rear master cylinder. If it is worn, torn, or mushy it can work more or less part of the time but not always.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

bleeding brakes ... easier said than done. Never done this before on a motorcycle, assuming it is the same as on car. I've only done this two times before on a car.

However, it might be better to get a rebuild kit? Do they sell these? Then just go ahead and replace the piston cup -- If I'm going to bleed the breaks anyways, might as well do it once rather than 2x

thanks for the help.
    -steve

3 Red Bricks
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

The hose from reservoir to master cylinder may be pinched by the footrest plate, or breaking down due to aging.