Thread: battery tender

Hybrid View

battery tender

Hello
    Just have a quick question about a good battery maintainer for my 2000 1150GS. I have a $30 Die Hard battery maintainer/charger but I was told that I would need a special charger/maintainer for gel batteries. Is this correct and does anyone have a good recommendation on a unit. Also I heard that I may be able to get one that plugs right into my power supply outlet, has anyone had luck with those.

Thanks
    Mark

You don't mention how often you ride. If you ride regularly, say at least a couple times a week, you may not need a tender. Your current one would probably do. There are special chargers for gel cells that would be a good idea if you're going to leave it on all winter. Gel cells have different voltage requirements, if I remember correctly.

I used a BatteryMinder, which supposedly de-sulfates the battery and works on conventional wet-cell and gel-cell. However, now I have a Shorai LiFePO4 battery and the BatteryMinder can't be used on it.

I've used the power plug, but now have a dual prong cord hard wired to the battery.

Assuming you need / want a battery charger / maintainer, start with what battery you have and intend to buy when it comes time for a replacement. Find a charger that will work with both if they are not the same. Some people refer to AGM batteries as gel, even though the are not. What battery do you have?

I've used a green Battery Tender brand for years on sealed as well as conventional lead acid batteries with excellent results. Have had up to six batteries (M/C, dirt bike, ATV, Golf Cart, rider, rider) on a shelf all winter and move charger from one to another when I think about it. Tried cheap copy once so M/C would have it's own and wouldn't need to take battery out. Charger and battery DOA in the spring. Makes $35 Battery a cheap investment.

Per their ad "Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell)"

Thanks guys,
    I do ride quite often at least a couple of times a week and intend to use the maintainer for winter storage only. I live in Michigan and the bike will be garaged for about 4 months. Right now I have a BMW battery that the previous owner bought at BMW Motorcycles of Detroit I think it is a gel battery and I imagine that I will replace it with the same thing when the time comes.
    Thanks again
    Mark

Left Coast Rider
    I have a Battery Tender Junior which, using an adapter bought at my BMW dealer, I plug into the Powerlet socket to keep my gel battery charged.

Been using it for years.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by GKman View Post
    Per their ad "Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell)"
    You usually find that on the packaging of chargers, except instead of the word "Perfect for" (which is a lie), they use "Charges" which is sort of true, but they fail to tell you that it'll affect the life of your battery.

But since your average Joe is happy with five-year battery life (talk about a short life for a battery), nobody bothers to get into the details of battery chargers.

Sorry to say, most of them are worth what you pay for them...no more.

Over the years on motorcycle forums, I always read about people plugging their bikes into battery tenders or chargers when not in use, the correct chargers you MUST use, etc.

I've never done it on any motorcycle I've ever owned. Maybe I just ride them all frequently enough so that it's never been an issue?

I got 9 years out of my Yuasa lead acid battery. It was still functional, but I replaced it because I was going on a weekend trip. So far, on my sealed battery, I'm on year 6 with no signs of slowing down.

I use my cheap charger twice a year; in the late fall when putting the girls away for the winter, and in the spring, when waking them up. In between I just ride, and frankly, I'm very satisfied with the life of the batteries I use. My motorcycles usually are idle the months of December, January, and February here in Minnesota, and usually get "woken up" some time in middle or late March.

Honestly, it works just fine for me, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia