Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Distractions, Texting etc.

advrider.com
    I haven't seen the picture, but I can imagine what it looks like based on what I've seen elsewhere... the "worlds toughest riders" who need a backup for the backup of the backup GPS, a roladex, a heart monitor, an oven timer, a different watch for each time zone, heads up display, air conditioner controls, a tachometer, underwear warmer controls, engine temperature sensors, satellite radio, 2 iPods, a Zune for comedic value, an iPhone mount next to the iPad mount.. and maybe a speedometer.

Nope, no distractions there!

Cdd --

+1

You da man!

Walking Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    and maybe a speedometer.
    speedometers are overrated
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Multitasking

Multitasking, show me someone who is multitasking and I will show you someone that is not doing any of the tasks properly. PERIOD................
    Gene T

Has anybody seen the cockpit of an airplane?

This stuff is within the capabilities of the human mind if approached with knowledge and discipline. It isn't if it isn't.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    In slowly making my way through the current Owners News I came to an article discussing "The Farklebar" by Rob Nye. Now in all due respect for Mr. Nye, I mention this; Page 118, looking at these pictures I see nothing but distraction. Geez just the factory computer read out on my RT is more distraction than I need, and we worry about someone texting while driving. These photos show almost as many instruments as the cockpit in a jet plane. I know all you gadget geeks will claim they can handle it, lets all hope so as we all know bad things can happen very quickly.
    If I remember correctly, Rob is an avid iron butt rider. There are a number of additional factors that need to be considered when riding iron butt. And even absent iron butt, It's not that people use them, but misuse them.

E.

"It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless information."
    Oscar Wilde
    Last edited by Easy; 09-30-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Gotta say when I think about how quick a pilot of a fighter jet on mission has to make decisions and multitask...I think he/she are pretty darn good at it. I worked for one who amazed me with his quick analytical/action abilities.Cool under fire to say the least. He taught me a lot.

Same goes for most frontline combat operations land or sea, police, firefighters, doctors,pilots and many more professions.

I am not of that skillset trained as some mentioned, but I have managed to not cause any harm to others while out on the road. As a former first responder to major power outages involving a lot of public interface and public hazards for almost 30 years( making a scene safe for firefighters was but one)...I have proven I can handle a few mental/physical activities at once.

As mentioned previously if you know when it's safe you are in the game.

There will be a day when that may not be the case...I know that.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    If I remember correctly, Rob is an avid iron butt rider. There are a number of additional factors that need to be considered when riding iron butt.
    I refuse to accept the idea that an iron butt rider is any different than the rest of the riding population. That's a topic for another thread, though.

Well, they are different by definition.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

advrider.com

They call themselves tough, so it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I think 3 seconds is closer to what happen in a speedo/mirror check...My eyes are moving all the time anyways...typically ahead. My mirror checks are when in traffic, not out on an open road as often.I just tried a one second count and didn't reach my imaginary mirror.

I don't care for the voices in my head or thoughts at times on long trips, so I do listen to my Ipod, unless in urban traffic...Highway to Hell or Radar Love doesn't set a good tone in a crowded environment

I use a GPS at times and don't fiddle with it when in traffic or on a twisty road. It also depends on how fast I am travelling...pushing buttons on the tollroad doing 85MPH (legal limit here on the tollroad to my daughters house) in certain places is prob not a good idea.

Oh yeah, I am one of those guys who takes pictures on the fly as well...same personal rules apply.
    Thank you for this reply. I strongly suspect you are a more experienced and better rider than I. It always embarrases me when a vehicle passes me and I didn't know it was coming up. Hence the reason for frequent but brief checks of my left mirror with also a "blind spot" mirror. I still get surprised on occasion.

I respect that you (and many others) only focus on your various gadgets when you feel a 3 second diversion of attention from the road is safe. And I'm sure you are aware that almost all people can be distracted for longer periods of time by similar devices.

Since there is no way these electroic devices are going to go away, you have only two responsible choices: 1) forget them or 2) use them when you do really do have the time.

We know that this has become a major threat from cagers. Can we prevent it from becoming a major threat we inflict on ourselves as riders?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwJeff View Post
    Yeah, but a red light is one of the best time to check these things. While you're moving is not.

And, the worst distraction while driving.......

is my 4.5 year old son. I keep telling him "dad has to concentrate on driving, and he cannot...(fill in the blank here)." My god little kids are distracting to drivers. And, I have only one. I can only imagine what it's like driving with two or more.
    In Lexington ,KY the cops have a new "Dont Text & Drive VW Beetle" ,donated by BMW car dealer& decorated with messages per "No Texting" & a black & white paint job and blue/red lt bar on top. Yesterday while we were waiting for the redlight to change coming out of a Chic-fil-A area, the VW was sitting adjacent & watching for texters at the light. I don't think the red light figures into "will she/cop cut you some slack" if you text.

Texting at the red-light makes you a douchebag because you'll still have your nose in the phone when the light turns green and everybody will honk at you.

Tangential thought: Have you all noticed that no cagers give nice little warning-taps on their horns anymore? If they use the horn at all, it's only in the form of a big long blast of righteous indignation. Idiots.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I don't have a problem with voice activated phones in cages- that's no different than having a conversation with someone riding with you.

To me the problem is all the "eyes off the road, hands on the device" garbage out there. It always causes compromise of attention to driving basics.

The most common thing I see cagers doing stupidly is one hand steering, often around blind corners. A typical example near where I live is women buying stuff for dinner exiting a main road at 50 mph, 1 handed into a shopping center lot where vision is blocked by banks and stores. Between their inaccurate, jerky 1 hand steering and excessive speed there have been a number of accidents as evidenced by debris in the parking lot..

The sooner we start treating driving while distracted (DWD) as the legal and moral equivalent of DWI, the better. Including loss of license, jail terms for repeat offenders, etc...

Yes I've got a G-4- but its sole use is comms re necessary info with my riding partner. It does not pipe music or gps info to my helmet. Both are distractions. Been riding since the 1960s and learned early on that it was only my own focus that can keep me alive (and was darn lucky to survive long enough to figure that out for myself in the days before classses, helmet laws, etc etc)

Perhaps those IBA types with their gadgets have a better than average safety record though I'd doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    I like his camouflage "onesey".
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys