Thread: anybody use one of those outside storage sheds ...

Hybrid View

anybody use one of those outside storage sheds ...

... from lowes or home depot to store their bike(s)?
    if so, how'd it work out?
    thx,
    ed
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

We have a metal 9' x 10' shed and we store two motorcycles in it - no garage. We always park them inside, not just over the winter. We have an outdoor extension cord running out to it, so we have both light and power for trickle chargers.

Because the door is not full width, riding one motorcycle in is easy. Riding the second one in requires much more attention as clearances are less than an inch.

The lip at the door is a challenge if you don't have a ramp.

And ALWAYS remember to duck!
    Loch Miwa
    Crestwood, IL
    2004 R1150RT

I don't see any problem as long as you have a ramp of some kind. I also imagine you could sink the galvanized frame a few inches in the ground to minimize the floor height over the surrounding terrain.

I have a 12' x 16' "shed" I got from Home Depot probably 15 years ago. It is a defacto garage. I put in underground electric from my home's basement for lighting and electrical outlets (GFI of course). It is flat on a concrete slab, no bump at the entrance and I only stained and sealed the exterior only twice and the wood still looks like new. I'm very happy with it. Just be aware that over the years your wood floor will warp , weaken or rot. I'd advise you to get a model that you can put over a concrete slab. (No wood floor)

I have a 12x16 I have kept bikes in over the winter so I can make room for the cars in the garage. This year I plan to widen the door by a foot so I can get the sidecar in. That thing is a space hog!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

re: "That thing is a space hog! "

yep,
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Yes, I have pretty close to what you have illustrated, a Tuffshed, which Home Depot markets. Tuffshed does the installation.
    We have a 12X12, 150 sq ft is as large as I can go without needing a variance.
    We had a concrete slab poured, so we didn't need the fancy floor system Tuffshed brags about.
    During the summer my mower is stored in the shed and is taken out regularly using the same home made ramps.
    In the winter the shed absorbes a lot of things that used to be a hassle to store, the mower, my bike, patio furniture, the grille, stuff like that, really glad we got it. I sided it to match the house, so I didn't need to paint it.
    One thing I wish we had done was get the double door. People have already commented on putting a bike in with a sidecar for example. It is a cheap option.
    The single door I have is metal framed, very sturdy door.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    The ones from wood products work very well. The metal ones attract moisture. I've had both. You can go inside a metal one in certain conditions and the metal on things inside will be covered with moisture (like dew). It causes rust.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Tuff Shed

I bought the exact same shed about 8 months ago. If you get one, see if you can coat the bottom surface of the floor with some sort of waterproof paint or sealer. Or talk to the vendor about supplying your own flooring material (4 X 8 sheets of 3/4" decking). The shed is well built, but I am concerned that the moisture from the ground will eventually rot out or weaken the flooring (even though it sits about 6" above ground).
    Tom Wilmotte
    2009 R1200RT
    BMWMOA, SABMWRA, IBA

In the beautful foothills of the Ozarks, Southeast Missouri.
    Here is the 12x16 shed I bought and keep my bike in. After receiving it, I closed off the loft for storage, added access to the loft, insulated the ceiling and walls, then covered the walls with OSB board and painted. Curtains are over the windows as well as wireless motion detector hooked to the home security system. I ran entrance wire from the house to the shed and put a breaker panel in, as well as receptacles and fluorescent lights. Last winter I heated it with a small utility heater and it kept it in the 60s on low heat, even with temps in the low 20s and teens. I still have to underpin it and in the spring put a small A/C unit in for when I am working out there. I ride the bike in, then put it on a Park and Move, spin it around and I am ready to ride out. I thought it turned out really well, especially since I am the farthest thing from a carpenter that there is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS
    AMA, BMWMOA #153389, IBMWR & NRA

Here is a pic of the inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS

Quote Originally Posted by SirRonny View Post
    Here is a pic of the inside.
    Nice work, looks very nice. Do you have enough room?...or wish you had gone larger?

I noticed your 'jack' type lift. Does it do well lifting the RT? I have one, used it on my Kawasaki cruiser,.but never tried it on my "R" or my "K" I use a table type for them.

Ron

Thanks! It is a 12x16 and it is just right I think. My wife talked me into going with a 12x16 instead of a 10x16 which I originally looked at. Any smaller though and I wouldn't have been able to turn the bike around like I do now, so I am glad she talked me into it. I don't think I would want any bigger. On the other end is my reloading bench and gear, so it works out perfect for the two things I wanted it for.

I have never really tried lifting the RT with the jack, I use it mainly for getting the front tire off the ground. There really isn't a good place for it under the RT anyway. When I had my Harley it was great because the frame was below the motor, so I could set it under it, strap it down and raise away. Someday I would like to get a table like you have, it would make working on it so much easier. I am getting too old to get up and down like that anymore.
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS

Option to Keep Rodents Out

I've used in my garage for a few years and we put in all the farm cabs on tractors, trucks, combines, etc and never had a rodent problem since. Can be found at most hardware stores, Sears or on Amazon. 1 pouch lasts 2- 3 months in a single car garage and over the winter in a vehicle. I like as pretty safe if you have pets around.

http://www.earth-kind.com
    Darrell

ClassicVW and Darrell, are you talking about the same device? I DO have an extension cord out to my shed for a battery tender and am VERY INTERESTED in a device that keeps out mice, also bats.

Understand how the bat (seems to only be one) gets in under the eaves. The mice perplex me as I nailed a batten to the bottom of the door (only low entry) which gives them about a 1/4" clearance, but since finding mouse poop put out a couple traps and have killed over a dozen.

More info and brands would be most welcome. Hope they have them in Canada.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS