Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: seats

seats

Just wanted to throw this random thought out there - no -this is not another one of those dreaded "who makes a better seat" thread.
    I finally figured out how to make the OEM seat that comes stock on the RT feel better! Spend an hour on the stock seat on an 800GS. To quote my daughter "OMG" ! the boys in Munich went out of their way to design a seat that looks stylish and feels like a downhill sloping 2x6! What were they thinking
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Makes me think of the Fearmonger's Shop on PHC - how much worse could it get? Question answered.

two dollar seats

No doubt BMW builds the best bikes on the planet and the worst seat known to any butt!!!! I had a rick Mayer seat built and it works well for me, I had a Sargent seat before that and it was OK if I had it all to do again I would try the Russell day long seat,I called them first and the guy wasn't very helpful and didn't call me back,rick Mayer was very helpful and did return my calls so I had him make a seat,only thing I wish was more available other than backup is a different adjustable back rest such as the one on the Harley road king it works great and is adjustable while riding

after reading a lot of posts on this site and others about aftermarket seats, time lost riding because of having to send off the seat pan etc. I decided to give Seat Concepts a try. Turned out to be real straight forward. Pulled the factory cover and foam. Placed the new foam on the pan and pulled the new cover over that. Lots of staples later I had a new seat that was well fitted and feels much better than the OE seat.
    So far I have two test rides, each about 2 hours long. No pain, generally comfortable, unlike the OE seat that gave me a sore tailbone and numb legs after about 30 minutes. Seat concepts was a great alternative and at least $200 less than other custom seats
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Thumbs up Sargent Gel

Best I've owned!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Corbin
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

na1g
    I have often wondered about OE motorcycle seats (and windshields). BMW is hardly alone in building seats that run from "just OK" to "just awful". In the sport-touring area I have had a Triumph Trophy 900 (seat awful, windshield awful), a Concours C10 (seat fair, w/s poor), a Honda ST1300 (seat just OK, w/s OK), a Yamaha FJR (seat poor, w/s good) and now a 2011 R1200RT (seat fair, w/s very good) But my question in all this is: Didn't someone ride a prototype and return with the impression that "This seat is awful - change it!" or "The windshield produces a lot of noise and buffeting - change it!" Didn't anybody listen?

I know the bean counters are fighting the engineers over every nickel but surely it can't cost a lot more, it any, to make a reasonably comfortable seat. I know that every rider's backside is different (although I have no empirical evidence of this) but surely some kind of standard shape could fit 80%. The size of the aftermarket in seats show the bike manufacturers aren't doing a good job.

The bottom line (I know, bad pun but I just had to use it) is it is easy, but not sheap, to fix the seating problem. But why should I have to on a $20,000 motorcycle?

pete

It seems like seat comfort is inversely proportional to looks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    There's the answer. It's all about style. The buyer can spend some more money for function. afterall , he bought a BMW; he must have more money.
    I'm surprised BMW and other manufacturers don't go into the aftermarket seat company. Maybe they don't want to admit their seats are often just barely adequate.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Over the last six years I've had one Sargent and three Russell Daylongs. I may purchase another Sargent for my new G650GS, but for any bike I'm going to ride long distance the seat must be a Russell...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

I have a Sergeant on my R1150R. I never really adapted to it, so it just sat in the storeroom. I just used it on a 2150 mile trip during which I did two 500 miles days back to back. I also decided to wear my bicycling shorts under my riding pants. Problem solved. It was really a pretty easy trip. For me this was the answer.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Simply put, the seat on the 800GS is a dirt bike seat. BMW picked the 800 to be the most off road capable, and matched the seat to the idea....
    02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
    MOA #184190 Club #231 48035

Quote Originally Posted by der verge View Post
    Simply put, the seat on the 800GS is a dirt bike seat. BMW picked the 800 to be the most off road capable, and matched the seat to the idea....
    yeah, but the saddle on my K12S looks a lot like the 800's as well
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    The BMW Comfort seat for the RT looks way better than the original two-piece seat, yet it is supposed to be more comfortable. I have just bought one, and it IS more comfortable around town, if only because of the pad that really supports the lower back. Now, I have to go test it on the road. I cross my finger that this $700 aftermarket seat will prove its worth.

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    There's the answer. It's all about style. The buyer can spend some more money for function. afterall , he bought a BMW; he must have more money.
    I'm surprised BMW and other manufacturers don't go into the aftermarket seat company. Maybe they don't want to admit their seats are often just barely adequate.
    BMW do. I just bought their Comfort seat. So now, I have bought from them one R1200 RT and one Comfort seat. Good move from BM.