Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helmets...and WIND NOISE!

I'm glad others have questioned helmets possibly being more noisy than back in the 70's. I think that too. My Nolan N103 is nasty loud. The Schubert C3 is way better. But, Not what I would expect. One of these days I'm going to take the time to work on the Schubert. I know for a fact that sealing the neck reduces the noise level. I can do so with my hand while riding.
    That all being said. I ditched the earplugs and have gone to noise reducing Earbuds. They allow me to hear the phone conversation better than I could with the Scalia G9 speakers and foam earplugs.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Morning Person
    All good stuff. My old Bell helmet was full face. But not modular like the Multitec. I've been wondering if the articulating ability of a modular is introducing more ways for wind noise to enter.

I've ordered a new windscreen and some new earplugs. Hope like hell these work. I can't use normal foam earplugs due to narrow ear canals. Like an idiot I ordered a box of 200 3M earplugs and spent two hours one night trying to get JUST ONE in my ear. Fuggedaboudit! Now I've ordered some Moldex Comets re-usable earplugs:

http://www.earplugstore.com/moldex-c...rplugs-bx.html

Hope they work.

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    I'm glad others have questioned helmets possibly being more noisy than back in the 70's. I think that too.
    Did you ride behind a windshield or fairing in the '70s? I've noticed that the same helmet is quieter on a naked bike than on a bike with a fairing and/or windshield.

Currently riding a 1998 K1200RS with stock windshield. Always wear earplugs if riding more than a couple miles.

Have been using a G Max full face helmet in the hot weather - bought it because of all the extra vents. The venting works very well, but it is noisy.

Weather cooled and I used my old Shoei full face and I was pleased with how much quieter it was. In addition the pitch of the noise was higher and less troublesome.

Have virtually given up using open face with or without a face shield. The windshield on the RS directs all the bugs at my face and at higher speeds the wind wants to lift the helmet off my head.

Removed an Aeroflow windshield that came with the bike...it was actually noisier for me than the stock.

When I had an LT, I could ride comfortably with an open face helmet. The huge adjustable windshield did it's job and earplugs were an option at 2 lane highway speeds. The airheads I had were a mixed bag depending on speed and crosswinds - had Vetter, Luftmeister and RT faring and stock windshields on those bikes.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Actually, the noisiest helmets I own are the full faced or worse yet, the modulars. 90% of all helmet noise (all makes) comes up from the neckline. The rest seeps in thru vents, shields, etc.

I too notice that when I raise my shield, I actually have less rumble and whistling then when enclosed.

Buying a good-quality 3/4 helmet may not protect your jawline, but you'd still be ATGATT, and with a whole lot less decibels to deal with.

Good Luck!
    Of the evaluations of flip ups that I have read, they all list noise as a factor.
    It's just not one solid piece but has seams, hinged places, etc.
    I wear ear plugs all the time.

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrugg View Post
    Of the evaluations of flip ups that I have read, they all list noise as a factor.
    It's just not one solid piece but has seams, hinged places, etc.
    I wear ear plugs all the time.
    I don't think my noise is coming from any helmet seams. If I block the bottom rear of the helmet, the noise ceases. This seems to indicate the wind vortex coming off the windscreen is swirling into my helmet, and maybe bouncing off my jacket shoulder armor. I have a new windscreen coming next week that will hopefully push the vortex out further. Also have some new earplugs coming. Fingers crossed...

Wind Noise

I wish I had you guys problems, I have been wearing hearing aids since 1959. Currently my loss is listed at 70db, that is close to just plain deaf. However I can not wear the helmet and the hearing aids at the same time, doing this plants both hearing aids on the ground when removing the helmet, and that is a bad thing. So I ride with them in a plastic bag placed in my pocket, wind noise, what is that???
    Gene T

Helmets from years ago were actually noisier then helmets of today. Most people didn't realize that wind noise was a problem. When I was a teenager I had a boss who was an ex-state trooper. He was deaf in his left ear from driving with the window down. When I learned this, I started to rebuild my helmets to reduce the wind noise. I eliminated most of it, but not all of it.

37 years later my hearing is impaired due to riding bikes. Even with rebuild helmets. I typically rode 25-40k per year. Helmets today are better, but they still have problems. And they still need a lot of improvement.

I still rebuild my helmets and add foam around my ears and use ear plugs. In my opinion ear plugs are still vital to hearing protection.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    All good stuff. My old Bell helmet was full face. But not modular like the Multitec. I've been wondering if the articulating ability of a modular is introducing more ways for wind noise to enter.

I've ordered a new windscreen and some new earplugs. Hope like hell these work. I can't use normal foam earplugs due to narrow ear canals. Like an idiot I ordered a box of 200 3M earplugs and spent two hours one night trying to get JUST ONE in my ear. Fuggedaboudit! Now I've ordered some Moldex Comets re-usable earplugs:

http://www.earplugstore.com/moldex-c...rplugs-bx.html

Hope they work.

I also have small ear canals and regular earplugs just don't get in or hurt like mad after a few minutes. One day I randomly tried these below and now use them on every rides. On one ride they were in so nicely, I kept them in all day... 12 hrs, no discomfort. That same brand make many different models. Some look identical, but are of different colour. They are NOT the same. Got to stick with the green ones, DAMHIK.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...r+plugs+howard

Hope it helps,
    Eric.
    01 F650GS Dakar
    03 R1150RT

If I pop open the chin vent on Schuberth Concept the wind noise makes a flying leap-even with ear plugs

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by QSrider View Post
    I also have small ear canals and regular earplugs just don't get in or hurt like mad after a few minutes. One day I randomly tried these below and now use them on every rides. On one ride they were in so nicely, I kept them in all day... 12 hrs, no discomfort. That same brand make many different models. Some look identical, but are of different colour. They are NOT the same. Got to stick with the green ones, DAMHIK.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...r+plugs+howard

Hope it helps,
    Mine are too dirty to clean; thanks for the link to some new ones.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

MultiTec

Yep, mine too, lots of noise, I certainly use earplugs. I have an old Arai that i use for test rides after tune-up, its way quieter. So, it does seem like a modular issue, at least with the Multitec.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

The Concept-3 Schuberth is claimed to be one of the quietest helmets - modular/full-face/whatever. What they did to make it this way is they include a neck collar to seal off the bottom of the helmet.

It is the quietest helmet I've owned, although there is some slight whistling from the top vent - but I suspect that's bike specific, it's right about where the air coming off the top of my windshield is.. if I duck down 1" - it's instantly quieter.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Shoei qwest is the quietest helmet I've experienced by far. Very nice helmet for the riding position of the rt but not sure how that relates to the other bikes. It doesn't move air as well as others but it very quiet.
    Rod
    95 K1100RS
    07 R1200RT

Data

Look here for some actual tested data regarding wind noise: http://www.isvr.co.uk/at_work/m_cycle.htm

One reason things seem noisier now is you (we) have already incurred noise related damage.

Personally, the Schuberth C-3 is the quietest helmet I've experienced, but earplugs are still worn.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com