Thread: Sun in your eyes

Hybrid View

Sun in your eyes

The scariest moments of my ride back home (40 miles of a 335 ride) were riding into the setting sun. I have a fullface helmet, prescription glasses, and magnetic sunglasses that bond to the prescription glasses. I'd used the the sunglasses during the heat of the day with no problem. I'd removed them when riding tree-shaded mountans. Replaced the sunglasses when riding through a mix of sun and shade.

I was never happy. Didn't see that well in the shade. Didn't see that well with the sun in my eyes either. Wished for my old Schuberth helmet with a sunscreen and also sunglasses.

Your solutions to this problem?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

3 Red Bricks
    I always carry a roll of the 1" blue painters tape in my saddlebag. When heading east in the mornings or west in the evenings, having a band of tape at the top of the visor just above the normal sight line, allows me to slightly dip my head to block out the sun. A cheap, but effective sun visor.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

you can do the same thing with the static-cling adhesive window tinting- just run about 1" of it at top of visor on the inside. doesn't stop the sun glare, but does diminish it.
    my morning commute has me riding straight into the sun for much of the year, and then the same thing on my ride home. a clean faceseld really helps- thank you Plexus.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    I always carry a roll of the 1" blue painters tape in my saddlebag.
    Genius!!!
    This should go in riding tips in the mag.
    Paging Kevin Greenwald
    Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    I always carry a roll of the 1" blue painters tape in my saddlebag. When heading east in the mornings or west in the evenings, having a band of tape at the top of the visor just above the normal sight line, allows me to slightly dip my head to block out the sun. A cheap, but effective sun visor.

I really miss an external visor like on the Bell Magnum of years ago for this very reason.

From an old project I have a roll of 1" black auto body trip tape. There is lots left over so I put a strip on the inside at the top of my helmet face shields. To get the location correct, I put the helmet on and mark the shield with a grease pencil as to where the optimum point for the sun shade should be. Then I remove the shield and apply the tape. Being applied to the inside, it is hardly noticeable from the outside. It is the very first thing that gets done to a new helmet and lasts the life of the face shield.

You can see it here:
    Last edited by 32232; 09-26-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: add picture
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

3 Red Bricks
    One big advantage to the blue painters tape is that it comes off clean (unlike other tapes). If, in the middle of the day, you are in an area where all the scenery is up high (Yosemite Valley for example), you just peel it off and replace it as needed later.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I use 1" electrical tape. It doesn't matter if it gets wet. I have two strips on at all times. Riding east Monday morning in Columbus OH in rush hour traffic I had to use my left hand as a visor to see anything for several miles. I had to shift up & down with out using the clutch.

I missed my exit because I didn't want to change lanes until I could see better. After I could see I let my GPS take me to US 33. The sun in my eyes happened so quick all I could do was stay in my lane & hope I didn't run into the car in front of me at 60+ mph.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

solas

Painters' tape lets a little light sneak thru. Instead, i've used solas reflecto tape from riderwearhouse on a couple visors. it's pretty much permanent, but it's also reflective for oncoming traffic.

Not the entire width of the tape, but about an inch; whatever seems useful. tho it doesn't really interfere with normal vision, when i want to feel like i'm seeing more i just lift the shield a little.
    Last edited by 26667; 09-27-2012 at 01:30 AM. Reason: sbelling
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    Didn't see that well in the shade. Didn't see that well with the sun in my eyes either. Wished for my old Schuberth helmet with a sunscreen and also sunglasses.

Your solutions to this problem?
    I no longer need to wear sunglasses now that I use a Scorpion 1000XE (?) helmet with the drop down sun shade. It goes up and down constantly in mountainous areas as I travel in and out of the shade.

A strip and a half of electrician's tape along the top of the visor eliminates most of the problem of riding directly into the rising or setting sun.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

The scariest moments of my ride back home (40 miles of a 335 ride) were riding into the setting sun.
    You ought to try coming in on final approach with the windscreen all wet and the sun low and right in line with the runway.

Wished for my old Schuberth helmet with a sunscreen.
    All helmets should have that feature. Its the feature I missed the most after I sold my Schuberth Concept. I learned my lesson and bought another one.