Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Oil Analysis Update?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I wonder just how many real oil refineries there really are in the world - I mean those that can produce high-quality lubricating oil?
    I wouldn't think oil refineries are in the business of producing lubricating oil as a final product. Isn't that what oil companies, ie blending companies like Spectro, do? They take all the various stocks and stir in their favorite additives.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I wouldn't think oil refineries are in the business of producing lubricating oil as a final product. Isn't that what oil companies, ie blending companies like Spectro, do? They take all the various stocks and stir in their favorite additives.
    That's my point exactly. They pretty much all start with only a few variations, and then by their own standards add what they want to make their "brand." Also, each one varies on particular applications. My bet is that the only major source variation is non-synthetic vs synthetic. I think only an extremely large companies can afford their own refineries. The rest purchase from them and produce their own formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by typ181r90 View Post
    Look on the bottom of the bottle, there's a BP logo (Castrol).
    Correctomundo...here's a picture of the bottom of a bottle of dino 10w40 BMW oil.OilBottom.jpg
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!