Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Senna SMH10

Senna SMH10

I've been thinking about getting Senna SMH10.

The Senna page states "Water resistant for use in inclement weather"

Has anyone had any experience with Senna in the rain? How does it do?
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

rode with mine in a monsoon for two hours. never missed a beat. i drowned.
    Tim2

Mind is not for rent
    No issues here and it's gotten plenty wet.

Mine has been through many a rain without any problem.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Geeser
    rode in the rain in Nova Scotia for 3 straight days with nary a problem
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

Great feedback !

Thanks to everyone . I really appreciate the feedback from riders who have actual experience.

I'm looking forward to upgrading into the tech world of communication.

I'm planning on pairing the Senna with smart phone and possibly a GPS, neither of which I have yet.

It's all new to me
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

A little off topic but I've seen a lot of mentions on Sena's site to initiate conversations to tap the jog dial. Is the Sena a PTT system? Is there a VOX feature for the intercom part?

Our Scala TeamSet Pro is VOX or you can start or end conversation by tapping the button. But the Scala only allows one external Bluetooth connection and it looks like the Sena allows multiple.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Quote Originally Posted by cehlbeck View Post
    A little off topic but I've seen a lot of mentions on Sena's site to initiate conversations to tap the jog dial. Is the Sena a PTT system? Is there a VOX feature for the intercom part?

Our Scala TeamSet Pro is VOX or you can start or end conversation by tapping the button. But the Scala only allows one external Bluetooth connection and it looks like the Sena allows multiple.
    Either way, you can set the Sena for vox of tap only

I've just returned from a trip up around the Great Lakes where it rained on us most of the nearly 3,000 miles over a week. Three of us using SMH10B's and we left the intercom channel hard open all day (not VOX) and had no problems with battery life or the rain.

The Sena SMH10 does fine in heavy rain, even on an unfaired bike. . .took a pair to the maritimes this summer and got hammered with rain for a week. . .had no problems of any kind, for that matter. Amazing intercom distance for Bluetooth. . .. very easy, intuitive, switched flawlessly with both Droid and iPhone for calls and music, as well as Garmin GPS (Zumo 350LM). We got a little over 2 days of riding (15-18 hours) between charges.

With the Sena SMH10 you tap to initiate a call to another headset (number of taps selects which one of up to 3 other headsets) and it's VOX for the call. The VOX shutoff to terminate the call after a period of silence doesnt work very well at speed unless you have very quiet helmets. . .it's fooled by roadnoise, so you usually need to tap again to end the call (or else ride with an open mike and share your courteous and appreciative comments about other motorists with your companions) .
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

+1 on Sena

Great and very water resistant product. Rode in rain for a week with no problems, pairs easily with iPhones, other units and so forth. Excellent customer support.

Usual disclaimers.

How useful are the smart phone GPS apps ? Are they good enough to do without a stand alone GPS?
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Rally Rat
    My ipone 4s updated to turn by turn directions with the latest software update, and I'm sure it would probably work fine, until you are in an area with no cell phone coverage (like all the fun twisty mountain roads). It will also be using up your data plan as it updates position while you ride. Seems ok for a quick look at the map, but for turn by turn directions, I'm sticking with a satellite based GPS. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    My ipone 4s updated to turn by turn directions with the latest software update, and I'm sure it would probably work fine, until you are in an area with no cell phone coverage (like all the fun twisty mountain roads). It will also be using up your data plan as it updates position while you ride. Seems ok for a quick look at the map, but for turn by turn directions, I'm sticking with a satellite based GPS. Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the input john

I'm curious about the amount of data that would be used on average for a 1000 mile trip. Just a rough number so I have some idea what to expect.

I guess if I lose coverage I would go to the paper maps unless I decide to get GPS

It seems like a lot of people are using the iphone,Senna combination . I may go with that especially after hearing so many comments about the Senna performing well in wet conditions
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Smartphones aren't great motorcycle navigation devices --cell coverage being a big reason, also cost (especially for travel outside the US or near a border), small screens, water penetration, etc, etc. Get a GPS if you want ongoing navigation.

Smartphones are good for route planning/intermittent access to services/weather/info/staying in touch, and they're better MP3 players than most GPS's are. My point--if you're looking for a comm system, get one that will work with whatever smartphone you're using, but this wont substitute for a separate GPS. A comm system that can talk to both phone and GPS independently is a good solution; this enables phone-headset communication not just for calls but with the smartphone features like Siri or other voice-controlled apps. If your smartphone is connected through the GPS, I believe you'll lose the option to talk directly to the phone (other than during a call).
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack