Thread: Rear Brakes

Rear Brakes

I recently picked up a 96 R1100RT with ABS. I use my front brakes much more heavily than the rear brake. My K100RT is on it's third rear mastercylinder. Could not using the rear brakes cause the master cylinder to fail? I don't want this to happen with the oilhead and the ABS.

Quote Originally Posted by Layton View Post
    I recently picked up a 96 R1100RT with ABS. I use my front brakes much more heavily than the rear brake. My K100RT is on it's third rear mastercylinder. Could not using the rear brakes cause the master cylinder to fail? I don't want this to happen with the oilhead and the ABS.
    If you never used rear brake, yes. But if you ride every week, or every month, and use the rear brakes doing parking lot maneuvers at least once every ride or so, then no, I don't think so.

On the classic K bikes you need to activate each brake to make the bulb monitor light go out. I got in that habit, and think it is good practice to test each brake at the start of any ride anyway.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves