Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Need Oil

>>Semper Fi, by the way ..<<

And "73" to you as well!

RUT (K1HS)

Jeff Wilson life member
    I found this Page and it was a scientist that did a study on the comparison of motorcycle oil to automobile oil the study also covered synthetic oil. I would like to hear some feed back on this topic after you read the article. The test covered mobil 1, castrol gtx, castrol syntec, spectro 4, and Honda hp4 the spectro 4 was the poorest rated and the mobil 1 was the best

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm
    Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

Quote Originally Posted by 43362 View Post
    I found this Page and it was a scientist that did a study on the comparison of motorcycle oil to automobile oil the study also covered synthetic oil. I would like to hear some feed back on this topic after you read the article. The test covered mobil 1, castrol gtx, castrol syntec, spectro 4, and Honda hp4 the spectro 4 was the poorest rated and the mobil 1 was the best

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm
    From 1994 little obsolete

1. There is an exemption on ZDDP for 20W50 oils, most all I know of have 1200 PPM minimum, MA oils are about 1700 SN is about 400. 400 is not enough for a flat tappet cam. 1200 is enough for a cam, borderline for transmission gears.

So for a air, oil, hex or cam head, a good 20W50 will be fine. If you have any of the others a MA or SG oil is a good idea. Guess what, keep it simple, just use MA oils. For winter, Rotella Syn has a MA rating. Then when it warms, just change to 20W50. An Oil head will rattle when It is time to change.

Rod

Well, I'm on the road again. I'm in Stockton. I rode about 350 miles to get here.
    Do you think I should check the oil?
    I did an oil change a week or two ago, and put in I think 4 quarts. I think I counted 4 quarts. Or it may have been liters.
    It was the official BMW stuff. I found some of the other stuff at the same price, so I figured ...
    dc

check yourself 1st...

you've already taken us.