Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: true barn find R100

true barn find R100

Looky what followed me home today...ok, i brought it home in a trailer...1991 R100 mono...pretty rough condition...60k miles...but I have a vision!....jeez, why do our SOs give us such us a hard time about new project bikes? I only have 3 now...it's NORMAL to have multiple motorcycles...RIGHT??.... (and I got a freshly butchered duck to roast for dinner and a pound of freshly cure bacon,,,telling you it was a real barn find...farm bike!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    michael

Mbs

"Three" seems like a reasonable number. . .Of course, "four" or even "five" would be even MORE reasonable. . .

Just looking at the picture of your new baby starts my juices flowing. . .and you are going to have a lot of fun over the winter months. Turning that "20-footer" into a nice shiny ride that is going to amaze your friends and humble your enemies is surely one of life's great pleasures.

A love for motorcycles isn't "about" motorcycles -- it's about passion, and that is one of the major elements of living a long and happy life. The SO will eventually come around in the face of this irresistible force, and peace will reign, yea, verily.

Walking Eagle

It would have been wrong not to give it a good home!
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

Lucky you. BTW, that is NOT! "pretty rough condition".

beemerfield
    Thak bike looks to be in great shape. It will be worth the effort to get it going again. I've just spent the last 6 years fiddling with a bike that I finally got to ride this past weekend. (with LOTS of help from EVERYONE) I hope to keep and ride it for a long time now. I wish the best for you and your new project!
    beemerfield

Nutfarm
    Only 3? I have 13, my wife quit nagging me years ago, just gave up. The deal was you keep them out of the garage so I can park my car and I don't care.

I have a shop to keep them in, so everyone is happy.

The slash 7 and mono shock Boxers are my favorite bikes(+R90S), followed by the super smooth
    K75 Flying Brick. What a great find. How about more pictures as you clean up the bike?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

thanks for all the support and encouragement.. Walking Eagle your comments put a big grin on my face this am....amen

Cleared our some mice and mud dauber nests in the tail section last night....can't wait to get the tank off and see what might be living in the airbox!

Next step is to get a steam cleaner and knock off about 1/4" of accumulated dirt, manure, oil, and road grime off the engine block to pinpoint what appear to be multiple oil leaks....will certainly share photos as I progress....time for a new tub of hand cleaner!

rode it to work this am and discovered a new concept for me...heated handlebar grips...sweet!
    michael

[QUOTE= rode it to work this am and discovered a new concept for me...heated handlebar grips...sweet![/QUOTE]

Congratulations! Just be careful how far you ride your new prize. Although it's a BMW, any bike sitting around a long time is going to have some surprises in store. I noticed your front rotor looks rusy - I bet your tires are in pretty old & hard too.

Looks like a great bike to bring back to life & ride. Enjoy & Congratulations!

A bottle of simple green, several cheap brass brushes and scotch brite pads, and it looks like the only problem is the neutral switch leaking profusely...hope to change it out this weekend.....

realized the PO installed the front fender backwards...when I went to switch it back discovered a bad cut in the front tire...so no more riding till I can get a new front tire...while I have the wheel off, may as well do the head bearings, and fork oil and well, here we go...better .take care of it all....

excited, tho....packages from boxer cafe and dime city arrived today...gonna experiment with some fiberglass stuff...see what happens...will post some picts as I get underway...good to get the creative juices flowing!
    michael

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousfish View Post
    Looky what followed me home today...ok, i brought it home in a trailer...1991 R100 mono...pretty rough condition...60k miles...but I have a vision!....jeez, why do our SOs give us such us a hard time about new project bikes? I only have 3 now...it's NORMAL to have multiple motorcycles...RIGHT??.... (and I got a freshly butchered duck to roast for dinner and a pound of freshly cure bacon,,,telling you it was a real barn find...farm bike!)
    Yes, it is normal.
    61 Gold Star, 76 R90S, 03 CBR600RR, '13 690 Duke, '14 Street Triple R

(and I got a freshly butchered duck to roast for dinner and a pound of freshly cure bacon,,,telling you it was a real barn find...farm bike!)
    Next time I buy half a pig, I'll have to pick it up myself, rather than having it delivered. That way I might get lucky, bike wise, as well.

How was the duck?
    Justin in Somerville, MA

Looky what followed me home today...ok, i brought it home in a trailer...1991 R100 mono...pretty rough condition...60k miles...but I have a vision
    Rough condition? That's a prince!
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Keep the pics and posts coming. It's always interesting and fun to watch the progress of getting an older bike roadworthy again.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Nice score. I too have the same bike. BMW only made 163 of these in 1991 and only for the USA market. It was called the R100 Classic.
    www.boxermetal.com
    www.facebook.com/boxermetal
    VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694, ABC #600
    Hi my name is Chris and I am a slash-five-o-holic.