Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: true barn find R100

....jeez, why do our SOs give us such us a hard time about new project bikes? I only have 3 now...it's NORMAL to have multiple motorcycles...RIGHT??....
    Just remind them of their Jewelry, purse, clothing, and shoe collections. Usually you don't get kick-back after that comment. My latest oilhead came from a reduction in my wife's jewelry collection. Right now I've got my eye on my wife's Coach purse collection. There's a nice mint-looking airhead locally.

Oh...I am SO thankful my wife doesn't read this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stanley83 View Post
    How was the duck?
    Came out excellent...crispy and brown...used thehungrymouse.com recipe...still have leftover duckfat for frying spuds etc...

Ya I said the bike was rough cause it was caked with years worth of oil dirt road grime...thought many seals were leaking etc...but was really pleased to clean her up and see it's not so bad afterall....
    michael

Here is a shot of my engine clean-up job in progress...Since I am doing a "semi-cafe" conversion, I was not worried about keeping the stock color scheme...Used Eastman chassis paint for frame touch ups and aluminum engine paint for the front and top covers and airbox...the rest is just scotchbrite and elbow grease....thinking of a Dover white paint scheme for the tins...

I know many traditionalists will hate what I am doing, but I am having a blast!...besides, I have my RT to keep stock while I have fun with this one! I did decide to keep the fuel and vent solenoid shed system and stock airbox breathers, but ditched the pulse air paraphernalia...

I know it is gonna run better, cause the air intakes and filter were clogged with bird feathers...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    michael

Beautiful Job. . .

Keep the updates coming, please. This stuff is candy for any of us crazy enough to spend hours and hours cleaning and polishing these old mechanical marvels as if they were diamonds. . . and NICE job on the engine.

Those bamboo shish-kabob skewers that can be found at any grocery store might prove useful to you. One package will last you a lifetime - these things are tough as nails. Already pointy on one end and they will NOT damage anything on a motorcycle. The bigger brother of these skewers is a set of bamboo chopsticks, also very useful when you need something stronger. Sit on your roll-around stool, put on some music, and you'll soon find yourself breaking out in happiness, known only to the lucky few.

Also, if you trim the "non-pointy" end flat like a blade, these work very well for spreading silicon, mixing/spreading epoxy, packing electrical fittings with grease, and so on. And, you can even use them to make shish-kabob when you're all done and are sitting down to dinner while looking at your bike, now clean enough to park in the living room.

The one caution about using these is that you have to clean them up a little to rid them of splinters that might get into lube or into sensitive places; that said, for digging out that last little bit of crud on engine cases, Bings, Snowflakes -- all aces.

No affiliation with the Bamboo Skewer Manufacturer's Cartel and Cabal.

Walking Eagle

got the Shorai lithium cell installed on the subframe...tins off to paint. still waiting for H pipe from Epco...yeah, been there done that...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    michael

Compared to some of the stories and photos that bike looks almost showroom new. Did the project screech to a halt or only the updates?

sorry to keep you hanging

Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    Compared to some of the stories and photos that bike looks almost showroom new. Did the project screech to a halt or only the updates?
    Just checking the forum for the first time in a while...LDB...thanks for the gentle prod to finish my restoration story! between finishing my project and going riding and getting out the habit reading the forum when the site was down for a while, I never finished this thread. I did post some picts of my paint job in progress but not sure what happened to them...

well, here is the results of my efforts: a few notes...ended up ditching the collector box and replacing with a Keihan H pipe. After a frustrating exchange with Tom at EPCO; getting skunked by Keihan, and too broke to get Staintuned, I ended up with Sito mufflers...they look and run fine, but would be open for suggestions for how to modify the innards to get a deeper bark from them. Ended up with a new Hagon monoshock with red springs to match my new color scheme. This unit rides very smoothly. After some initial bar fitment issues, found a used pair of R90 euro bars that fit just fine (thanks David). Ditched the stock "dash" and rigged an ignition switch on the headlight clamp behind the fairing. Polished up the SJ top clamp, bar clamps, and steering tube nut. Silicone plug wires from Motorrad Electrik. Replacement peanut valve covers (repros), SS front brake lines custom made at Oil Filter Service. Replaced the front caliper seals and had them powder coated. The Shorai batter conversion has worked fine, but the LED turn signals took quite a bit of wiring/resistor/flasher troubleshooting (and many blown fuses!) to get dialed in. Seat was made by Ginger at New Church Moto in Portland. Cafe seat pan and bikini fairing are from Boxer Cafe and bolted right on. Reshaped front and back stock fenders with a jigsaw and flap wheel on an angle grinder. BMW "pepper white" paint by Aaron Walker and hot rod style pinstriping by Mitch Kim here in Clackamas Oregon. Motorrad roundels from SJBMW. New Dunlap tire in the front. And thanks to Jim in Parts at Tigard BMW for ordering all my misc. cables, gaskets, nuts and bolts, etc...not a drop of oil leaks now. She rides like a dream...so light and quick compared to my 1980 R100RT...When I ride her, I have a permanent grin and turn lots of heads. 20130201_155810.jpg20130201_155848(1).jpghope to ride her to the Rally in Salem this summer! Thanks for all the support during the process.
    michael

Sweet.

Wow, what a sharp looking bike. Congrats on such a fine outcome. You seem to be short several photos on this end though.
    CCC, NRA, OOIDA Life Member
    BMWMOA Member 15945

Looking good, Michael.

The cases that came with it will be snapped up by some GS owner. The original fender placement was hilarious.

Your build time has to be the shortest that I've seen here, or at ADVrider.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I really like how the red shocks/calipers/plug wires sort of set it off. Very nice. Pinstriping is very nice as well.

Great job, Bravo!
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Just for grins I parked it in the "Bike Judging" area at the rally. The judges liked it and created a new category: "Best Cafe Racer". Judge confided that it was technically not the best cafe cause there was so much unoriginal stuff on it, but he was a sucker for red, and gave me the first place medal !

My first rally....what a blast!
    michael