Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Decisions,Decisions

We travel on our RT and I've found the only tools we need on long trips are one each Visa and MasterCard.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    We travel on our RT and I've found the only tools we need on long trips are one each Visa and MasterCard.
    Carry the title along too. That way if something catastrophic happens you can just trade it and be on your way, rather than waiting around for a week (or more) for parts.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Left Coast Rider
    I'm a pretty simple fellow (thousands will attest to that fact) and what I find is that if I want something, and it has good references, I'll just buy it. If, for whatever reason, I don't like it - I sell it.

BMW has a well-earned and world-wide reputation for reliability. Say. No. More.

Enjoy the ride!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I've had BMWs for the last 15 years. A dealer just opened 90 miles from me and I consider that next door since they were 150+ miles away before. That being said, I have never had one in a dealership other than a free ABS reset when I changed a battery on a K75. I have ordered a few parts over the year and UPS has always delivered.

I see more BMWs passing through these mountains from places far away than any other brand.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    From a John LeCarre novel: "money is the best tool".

Noticing your from Minnesota. I live in the opposite direction in the state. I live up north a mere 150 miles from the nearest dealer. Been enjoying life with the dealer since 94. I believe this state has two very popular dealers that each has a following. I just did the four courners this year and thought about what if she breaks down. I think I had a better chance to get speeding tickets. No tickets and no break downs. Between my first (k75rt) and now second (r1150rt) I have about 180 thousand miles. So far so good. lost a fuel pump once but was by home. That was after running the tank all most dry a couple of times. I think operator failing to gas up more often may have been to blame for the fuel pump issue. Unfortunately out west there were too few stations. I seem to use tires. buy the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by queretaro View Post
    From a John LeCarre novel: "money is the best tool".
    Tell LeCarre I happen to have more tools & less money, so, as they say, go figure

i guess a few light bulbs and the ability to remove a wheel and and plug

a tire or fix a tube (and then be able to reinflate it). a lot of duck tape and tie wraps. probably a shop manual is a good thing to have. (of course, a working flashlight)

of course, i don't think i've ever seen a post here about anybody with a failed headlight. must happen but must be very rare. i know my brother still has the original headlight in his '92 hog.
    Last edited by f14rio; 09-25-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post

of course, i don't think i've ever seen a post here about anybody with a failed headlight. must happen but must be very rare.
    It happens all too often. I've seen several threads from folks trying to figure out how to replace bulbs on various RT models. I've also seen a couple of threads about crispy wiring and/or connectors at the bulb.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Bluenoser
    Having gone from an oilhead to a harley and just talking purely about the mechanical issues:
    1. The oilheads require more maintenance than the Harley. I'm comparing a R1100R to an O8 Heritage Softail. But any bike with adjustable valves is in the same boat as the valve adjustments on the R bikes are fairly regular. A lot of the maintenance for either bike can be done by the owner ( if they are capable ) but the Harley is far simplier with no valve adjustments. The other stuff is common to both bikes, clutch adjustments, cable adjustments, oil changes etc.
    2. Dealer network can be a real issue if you have problems. That is something that was always on my mind when I had the Oilhead, so I carried some of the hard to get parts like the Hail Sensor. A case in point a friend of mine and I were on a 3 Flags Ride a couple of years ago. He was driving a 01 HD Ultra ( I was driving my R1100R ) and the stator went out of his bike. It happened in a very small town ( pop about 75 ) north of Taos NM. There was a local guy who built choppers and was able to source the parts and repair my buddies bike in a day.
    3. Are you mechanically inclined or do you need a dealer for routine maintenance & repairs.

In my view the above are the main mechanical issues you have to concern yourself with. No matter what anybody says they are a real issue but only you can determine if its anything you should worry about. Many BMW & Harley bikes go 10's of thousands of miles with no issues, but when they do break it can be a real pain. The more mechanical knowledge you have in looking after your bike makes a big difference in eliminating break downs.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

All bikes have their problems and BMWs are no different. My ’06 RT is currently on its 3rd final drive. That said it’s been a great bike otherwise. I’ve also had a number of Harley’s, and they too have their issues. In the early 90s they had problems with the wiring harnesses. There was also a large number of faulty voltage regulators reported. I the early 2000s there were a large number of overheating issues reported.

No bike is a sure thing. Buy the one you enjoy, keep it well maintained with a good roadside assistance plan and an anonymous book, and hope for the best.

And always remember what the stranger said in movie The Big Lebowski, “Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.”

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by rbenstead View Post
    ... In my earlier years I was a motorcycle mechanic for Honda,Yamaha, and Suzuki. I enjoy put-zing on my current bikes. ... I live in SW Minnesota. My nearest BMW dealer is 90 miles and the next is 180 miles away. ... Thanks
    Go for it. Judson in Lake Crystal has great service. Skip Leo's if you can and opt for Moon if you have to.

I lived in Marshall area for three years with an airhead. I got some good advice and info from Skeeter in Olivia as needed and there's an Indy shop in Marshall that does good work if you're in over your head (which I doubt is going to happen given your level of experience).

In fact, there's a guy here in central NE with an 04 1150 RT for sale if you're up for a road trip...

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Tell LeCarre I happen to have more tools & less money, so, as they say, go figure
    the paraphrased quote refers to the best tool for someone travelling quickly and without a lot of baggage. Could this be you?

Loading the Bike
    cry...cry....cry...u sound like an old lady
    why are you even riding a motorcycle !!!!!!!!

Decisions,Decisions
    First of all, I am a very frequent visitor of this forum and look here for expert advice. I have been motorcycle for over 40 years. In my earlier years I was a motorcycle mechanic for Honda,Yamaha, and Suzuki. I enjoy put-zing on my current bikes. A 2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra and a 2012 G650GS. I have been riding Harley over the past 20 years and this brings me to my question. I have the urge to try something different. I always have had the love for the boxer engine ever since my cousin bought one back in the early 70's. My Harley's have always been rock solid. The dealer support is everywhere. I live in SW Minnesota. My nearest BMW dealer is 90 miles and the next is 180 miles away. It seems like they are disappearing like flies. I am really interested in a R1200RT. I average around 12,000-14,000 a year touring. In Minnesota that is a lot for about a 6 month riding season. Should I be worried about the available dealers,worrying where maybe the closest dealer is on the road, parts availability, and going from my great experience with Harley Davidson to the unknown experience? I know this is a BMW forum so many answers may be bias. But lets hear it anyway. Thanks
    Last edited by csargent; 09-26-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: who my remark should go to

cry...cry....cry...u sound like an old lady
    why are you even riding a motorcycle !!!!!!!!
    Seems like the OP asked a legitimate question to me ... long time H-D rider, in a land far, far, away, wants to know if BMW motorcycles are sufficiently supported to warrant purchasing one.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner