Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 12 hour time and the clock on the rt-p

I don't much care for the 24 hour clock either. I am a federal employee and we use the 24 hour clocks with 100 clicks to an hour. That can be really confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I like precision. If you say it is 2 o'clock, I have no clue; but if you say 1400, I know exactly what time of day you are referring to.
    Lol
    If it's 2:00, I'm either awake or asleep and don't care.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Quote Originally Posted by JConway607 View Post
    It's a minor irritation, but still, an irritation none the less. My $20.00 Casio watch can easily be switched back and forth from 12/24 hr time. It wouldn't seem like rocket science for BMW to include that feature. Just my opinion.
    Agree
    2000 R1100RT-P

Quote Originally Posted by mohan0 View Post
    minus 12 from whatever time and you will get the time it is
    Nice tip! Thank you.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Agreed !
    Am/pm is a useless convention when most of the world uses the 24 hour convention.

Kind like the metric system. When will we ever catch up ?
    And if you switch to metric you only need to count to 10 and then just add or subtract a few zeroes here and there!

The metric system has a very storied and mostly political history in North America.

Canada began going metric in 1970 and the US was to follow suit. In 1971 the 1968 the US Metric Study began and reported in 1971 that the US should go metric. In 1975 the Metric Conversion Act was signed by Congress but no firm dates were stated. Agreements were signed with Canada who by then was almost fully metric. These went out the window and without firm commitments things stalled south of the 49th.

Then Reagan got elected, disbanded the US Metric Board and killed all the funding for metric conversion. Since then there have been all sorts of metric conversions here and there like on packaging but not a total switch. In 2007 though, NASA decided to use metric units for all further operations on the moon when it returns.

I guess that's progress?
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Bmandiego View Post
    I've a 2000 r1100rt-p.
    The clock is currently running on 24 hour time.
    Is it capable of running on a 12 hour mode, or is it a German/rt-p thing (Ve VILL be runnink in das zwanzig vier stunde uhr!!!)?

You don't like the 24 hour clock? You VILL use it and you VILL like it!
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Amazing, isn't it? The Motronic will adapt to a dozen engine conditions, the rear shock can be adjusted for weight, the seat for your height, but the clock stares out at you in military time.

I would look at the positives here:

1) Next time you're on a long trip, when you look at the clock, and is says 05:00, you won't have to wonder, "Is that AM or PM?"

2) BMW has made your life simpler. No longer are you faced with that awful choice, "Which mode will I use today, 12 hr or 24 hr?"

3) You can impress your friends, "See you at fourteen-thirty." They won't wonder if you plan to arrive in the middle of the night.

How about BMW put a simple $.10 button on their $20,000 machines? "Problem" solved.
    That would completely wreck the profit equation.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

His bike may be a PD model, but actually, all of the R models use the 24 hour clock. So either BMW figures that most of their R models sold in the USA will be used by police, or they think that the American market is just too small to justify being able to switch modes. Perhaps they are simply not aware that this small country is not planning to adapt all of our clocks to the 24 hr format anytime soon. I'm not sure which of these scenarios it might be.

I did notice that Honda doesn't seem to share BMW's viewpoint. The Goldwing has a 12 hour clock. Real easy to read. No calculating required.
    Not all R's have a 24 hour clock. My R1150R has a 12 hour analog clock.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

JohnWC

Smile

I am glad to see that many people on this forum have a good sense of humor. Life is pretty short to worry about such small things. They are great bikes. I haven't found any machine yet that was perfect. I just need to remember that more often.

I am glad to see that many people on this forum have a good sense of humor.... I haven't found any machine yet that was perfect....
    I can show you a picture of my K75 if you would like. LOL
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    24 hour mode only.
    I sure thought you could toggle...I don't have an owners manual for an RT laying around. I thought I switched a buds to 12 hour somehow. After we swapped batteries it defaulted to 24. Sure seems we got it to swap back to 12hr.

I thought a lot here
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Delaware.Dave
    It's a minor irritation, but still, an irritation none the less. My $20.00 Casio watch can easily be switched back and forth from 12/24 hr time. It wouldn't seem like rocket science for BMW to include that feature. Just my opinion.
    True, but then look at it from the manufacturer's perspective. Of all the bikes they build, the only people concerned with AM / PM are the North Americans, and it's only some of those.

To make that simple change would cost a bunch of money just to satisfy the 1/2 of one percent of all bike sales. They would have to changes all the bikes, or, (more expensive) make some bike's "North America Only". It's bad enough there are KPH and MPH speedos. Not gonna happen.

I used to work for Volkswagen, they build some awesome, cool cars that never hit the US shore, only because the US government requires some dumb stipulation or overly redundant safety testing to offer a car here for sale. When you consider how small the US market is compared to the entire world, VW simply doesn't import the nifty car.

Mercedes did the same thing with their diesel engine for a few years. The US imposed a restriction the rest of the world didn't have, and Benz held back on diesel imports until things settled down.
    Last edited by Delaware.Dave; 09-28-2012 at 02:53 AM.

The clock on my 07 R1200RT is a 12-hour clock. I also checked my owners manual, and it doesn't say anything about being changeable between 12- and 24-hour settings.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
    David W.
    Public Safety Professional since 1985
    2007 R1200RT
    Dominus pascit me

Left Coast Rider
    My Ducati has a 12 hour clock. Fortunately for me, it also indicates AM or PM. Saves me getting confused as to whether its day or night when I'm riding at 3:00 in the afternoon or, according to my BMW clock, 15:00.