Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can not remove oil filter

Quote Originally Posted by sy308moa View Post
    Thanks, guys. Will try the rag first, then with screws into filter. Looks like will need to bring the wrench inside to the drill press and modify it. Lots of good ideas. Will try tomorrow for the filter again. Let you know as soon as I have it off. Rainy today anyway so not good for riding here.
    If you punch a hole to start a screw into the filter can oil will drain out of the filter. Be prepared to catch the mess.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

If that filter has been in there that long, rust or even perhaps dirt/grit/small rocks may be stuck between the case and filter. If that is the case try to have a look and get the debris out with compressed air or slim metal to pry it out. Your efforts will be futile if that crap prevents the filter from turning. Just another thought from my brain.

4 screws

I used 4 6-32 screws to mate the base to the filter wrench, and
    then 4 screws to go from the wrench into the filter, and, a longer handle on my wrench, which came from a hand jack.

So, Sy... What is your ride, and what's the verdict?

Is it a Boy or a Girl ? Hahahaha.....

Had to get a laugh in after all of this about oil filter wrenching, b/c it took me two
    trips to the auto parts store, drilling out the filter holder, photos, emails, and at least 3 phone calls to fellow riders b4 I got my problem solved.

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

Jim
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    '04 R1150RT - New Life in Upstate N.Y.
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

Update on the filter. Rag trick did not work. I needed to use the drill into filter trick. I took my filter wrench and drilled 6 holes corresponding with the 6 rounded areas in the periphery and threaded machine screws into it. With the bike still upright, I used a 90 degree adapter on my drill and drilled a single hole into the bottom of the filter, while the bike was on the center stand. Oil came out but not all of it in the filter. The bike was laid on its side after a while. I pressed the filter wrench with the screws onto the filter and tapped it with a hammer in order to punch marks into the filter to facilitate drilling. In retrospect, I might have drilled another peripheral hole initially because more oil came out as I drilled the 6 holes into the filter. The wrench was placed and all 6 screws were tightened. I used a socket wrench, a short 3/8" extension and the BMW lug wrench as an extension on the handle of the socket wrench to move the filter. More oil came out. The filter slowly moved but the gasket was stuck to the engine and no longer on the filter. I did not want to reach into the cavity with anything sharp, so I used the second filter by tightening and loosening to move the first gasket. Tightened the filter and put the fresh oil in. I really appreciate the help. The screw trick worked well. Makes me wish for aircraft type filters with the socket nut welded onto the filter. It was lots of extra work to make this happen. Thanks again.

RK Ryder
    Congratulations on the successful, although extremely frustrating, removal of the filter!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by sy308moa View Post
    Makes me wish for aircraft type filters with the socket nut welded onto the filter.
    Fram or K&N make a filter with a socket nut welded onto the filter
    Thanks
    01 R1150GS
    75 R75/5 Toaster LWB Red
    Al Navecky Jr

Delaware.Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Holy Smokes!!
    Seeing the images of the tools required to get an oil filter off frightens me! The lack of maintenance required to get things to that stage is pretty scary.
    ...Or, lack of knowledge on how much torque is needed to seat an oil filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware.Dave View Post
    That didn't seem to make a difference on my stuck filter that was torqued to the specified 11 Nm (8 ft.lbf.).

Using the appropriate grease on the oil filter seal solved the issue.

Lets be realistic here-you don't have to be wrong,stupid or incorrect to have a part that's hard to remove,including oil filters & other stuff. The reason experienced persons were able to chime in on this thread is that they had to do the same with "experienced" being the operative word not otherwise. To accurately torque an oil filter with no solid attachment via the wrench plus throwing in a rubber seal is not a perfect world of torque values. I do the Fred Flintstone, screwdriver abuse(I used to show this GM film,r.e.,how not to use tools) thing too, when needed.

Delaware.Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    That didn't seem to make a difference on my stuck filter that was torqued to the specified 11 Nm (8 ft.lbf.).

Using the appropriate grease on the oil filter seal solved the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Lets be realistic here-you don't have to be wrong,stupid or incorrect to have a part that's hard to remove,including oil filters & other stuff. The reason experienced persons were able to chime in on this thread is that they had to do the same with "experienced" being the operative word not otherwise. To accurately torque an oil filter with no solid attachment via the wrench plus throwing in a rubber seal is not a perfect world of torque values. I do the Fred Flintstone, screwdriver abuse(I used to show this GM film,r.e.,how not to use tools) thing too, when needed.
    Lets be realistic here-you don't have to be wrong, stupid or incorrect to have a lack of knowledge about the torque of a filter either. Don't look for a fight where none exists. I've had plenty of parts that seized during there normal service life too. I've also seen, and I'm sure you have too, people put 100 ft/p of torque on a filter or a drain plug.

Heck how many of you have seen an otherwise competent person remove the trans drain plug by mistake during an oil change?

Quote Originally Posted by gnavecky View Post
    Fram or K&N make a filter with a socket nut welded onto the filter
    What Fram filter has a nut welded on it?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Peace! I was saying "it" happens to many & not always based on "wrongness".

I've also seen, and I'm sure you have too, people put 100 ft/p of torque on a filter or a drain plug.
    Sorry, I haven't seen that, but I have seen countless times cheap f--cks who reuse a twenty-cent drain plug seal over and over and wonder why it doesn't seal. Their solution, torque it some more till it stops dripping...and they wonder why it stripped.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    What Fram filter has a nut welded on it?
    it's the K&N
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Delaware.Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Sorry, I haven't seen that, but I have seen countless times cheap f--cks who reuse a twenty-cent drain plug seal over and over and wonder why it doesn't seal. Their solution, torque it some more till it stops dripping...and they wonder why it stripped.
    Yeah, I've definitely seen that too. In my "parts guy" days, we used to give out free sealing washers whenever a customer was doing his own service. We can't make him use them, but we did what we could.

As a "service guy", I would get perhaps one customer every other month who, while trying to save money by changing their own oil, removed both the engine oil plug AND the transmission reservoir plug. "What do I do now?" they would ask. "Tow it in. The transmission is not customer-serviceable." The permanent trans fluid is expensive stuff too, so they usually would be pretty angry by the end of the day.