Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No iPhone 5 thread?

No iPhone 5 thread?

OK,I'll go 1st.I got mine this morning and am pleased so far.My 2nd iPhone so hopefully I'm not a full-fledged fanboy yet.

Poorme.
    I still have the 3gs. I may upgrade soon, though.
    I did download os6 to the phone, though.
    Have you tried the map yet?
    2000 R1100RT-P

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdelta View Post
    My 2nd iPhone so hopefully I'm not a full-fledged fanboy yet.
    I don't know, you got it the first day it came out. Sounds a little fan boyish. I can't talk though, I had iOS 6 the day after it was available. I used to work for AT&T and when the iPhone first launched I said I wouldn't own one, I left the company an bought a 3Gs and now have the 4S. Apple does a great job with their devices and the platform is decently stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post
    I don't know, you got it the first day it came out. Sounds a little fan boyish. I can't talk though, I had iOS 6 the day after it was available. I used to work for AT&T and when the iPhone first launched I said I wouldn't own one, I left the company an bought a 3Gs and now have the 4S. Apple does a great job with their devices and the platform is decently stable.
    You have to love the new Samsung commercial with the folks waiting in-line at the Apple store! If I worked in a place where I could use a cell phone, one of these "smart" jobs might be nice.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I've had a Verizon basic cell phone for years because it has the best coverage in my isolated mountain terrain. I've always gotten the "free" phone upgrade every two years. My battery went bad in my old phone the other day and I went to Verizon to do my upgrade. The "free" upgrades were all some form of smartphone that required a $40 or more package. I don't want or need a fancy gadget that may or may not work were I go (just calling is iffy) so I declined. Instead, I spent $3.72 and got an OEM battery from E-Bay.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    used one of these for years to make poletop phone calls...doesn't do digital so it's a cute art piece now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    You have to love the new Samsung commercial with the folks waiting in-line at the Apple store! If I worked in a place where I could use a cell phone, one of these "smart" jobs might be nice.
    Hits me as way too much in the way of sour grapes, not to mention why should they even bring up their competitors. Stupid.

If you do get the iPhone 5/6, the aluminum is very soft, get a case ASAP. This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSFKVq36Hgc&sns=em

Mine's on the way: ZhengZhou, China 09/22/2012 1:42 A.M. Origin Scan
    Last edited by tommcgee; 09-22-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    used one of these for years to make poletop phone calls...doesn't do digital so it's a cute art piece now
    So it was YOU that ran your hook through my cable?

Actually that phone would work, IF you could find a line that still carried dial tone. So many people have switched to cellular/VOIP that about 85% of lines are totally unused. In the mid '90s, most areas had a shortage of lines due to demand for dedicated dial-up modem lines. These days a phone man is as useful as a buggy whip maker...

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    So it was YOU that ran your hook through my cable?

Actually that phone would work, IF you could find a line that still carried dial tone. So many people have switched to cellular/VOIP that about 85% of lines are totally unused. In the mid '90s, most areas had a shortage of lines due to demand for dedicated dial-up modem lines. These days a phone man is as useful as a buggy whip maker...

Larry
    I'm hanging on to telco provided dial tone as long as I can, despite their daily FIOS mailings. I figure they've spent about $60k trying to sign me up.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

If history proves true, I will wind up with the I5 at some point. However, initially, I am a bit too irritated with Apple to make the switch.

Why?

I5 will not fit the Ram Mount on my bike.
    I5 will not accept the Powerlet cord on my bike.
    I5 (without $29 adapters) will not fit any of my 4 Bose sound dock systems.
    I5 will not fit the charger in my car.
    I5 will not fit the sound docks, clocks, chargers, etc that are in virtually every hotel room I stay in.

I wonder how many $29 adapters I would buy and lose?

Unless I plan to stay with the 4S forever, I suppose I will give in at some point, but right now, NO!

PS: I did download the new operating system the first day it was available.

advrider.com
    I can't justify the expense of a smart phone, especially an iPhone. I'm just not cool/popular enough to need one. It's like any other electronic gadget. You're wasting so much money buying it when it's brand new.

I'm still using the phone I got when I renewed my contract in 2009. Judging by others spending habits, I've "saved" $1000+ by not constantly upgrading.. but I just blew the savings on motorcycle parts anyway.

I'm totally happy with my I3something, and swore all I wanted was a phone that could call and get calls until our daughter put us on her family plan and got us the Iphone. The ability to see real-time weather radar while traveling on the motorcycle makes it very, very nice. I don't do much except phone calls, weather radar and Accuweather but living on the bikes in the summer makes those apps worthwhile.

Now, it sure would be nice if cell service worked where we live, but it doesn't.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Now, it sure would be nice if cell service worked where we live, but it doesn't.
    Not such a bad thing, I'd say.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

This seems appropriate..... http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up