Thread: Aluminum spray cleaner Eagle One

Aluminum spray cleaner Eagle One

Since the topic has come up before, both in ON and airhead news - here is a product that is acid based which cleans aluminum very well. Degrease the aluminum before use.

http://www.eagleone.com/mag-wheel-cleaner#

Autozone sells this, and also includes the MSDS:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=286633

This is the real deal and will clean aluminum wheels, and/or the aluminum hubs, forks, and engine. However, it is nasty stuff. Heed the warnings and follow the directions carefully.

The primary ingredient is phosphoric acid and a secondary ingredient is hydrofluoric acid, which is extremely hazardous (i.e. it will hurt you). Wear gloves, glasses, use outdoors upwind of the spray, and have a garden hose at the ready when using this product. If you get it on you, rinse immediately with the hose. It does a really good job and requires almost no effort to bring old aluminum back to like new, but must be used carefully.
    Stan

AH# 13238

Stan

Any pre/post pictures of your efforts?

It may turn some aluminum dark. I'm thinking a friend tried it and the tranny housing turned dark gray and he wasnt very happy.

My intention for posting the brand and type of spray cleaner was for information purposes only. Use at your own risk. No guarantees are implied. The cleaner is a spray acid - be extremely careful with its use.

Now for some before photos:

transmission:

Left Bing carburetor - right Bing was sprayed (forgot the before photo):

AFTER PHOTOS

Lower half sprayed

Right Bing carburetor

As stated above, use at your own risk. As originally claimed, this is the stuff talked about in the BMW ON and Airhead news magazines to clean aluminum.
    Last edited by Stan_R80/7; 09-22-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: switch left to right
    Stan

AH# 13238

Stan, you may want to put it in a small container and use a brush to apply it. It will eventually eat the cad coating off of the hardware.

It may turn some aluminum dark. I'm thinking a friend tried it and the tranny housing turned dark gray and he wasnt very happy.
    Put me in that category, it turned my engine covers (top and front) dark(er) grey. I think it has something to do with the silicon in the alloy used in the die cast parts (vs. the sand cast block).
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner