Thread: Any reccomendations for F 650 GS 2009 windscreens?

hoss

Any reccomendations for F 650 GS 2009 windscreens?

I am looking for a new windscreen for my F GS 650 for touring purposes. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!

On my 2011 F650GS I tried an Aeroflow, Cee Bailys, Z Tech, CalSci and a Laminar lip on the stock screen before I settled on a MadStad. I can ride with my visor up at 70+ mph on the highway,it is quiet and offers good protection from the elements. For me it is the perfect touring screen.

I've used the F800 touring windshield with and without a laminar lip with good results. It works well and goes on easily. With the lip there's no wind, but right now I'm using it without the lip and I think I like it better with a little "breeze".
    Steve
    So many roads - so little time.
    2013 R1200GSW

hoss

Response to F650 windscreen advice

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    On my 2011 F650GS I tried an Aeroflow, Cee Bailys, Z Tech, CalSci and a Laminar lip on the stock screen before I settled on a MadStad. I can ride with my visor up at 70+ mph on the highway,it is quiet and offers good protection from the elements. For me it is the perfect touring screen.
    Dear nytrashman.

Thank you for the timely response to my windscreen post.
    I looked up the MadStad website and found this product to be
    exceptional.
    I think this is the set-up for me, but before I place an order, is
    there any additional information you could offer? I would
    appreciate this information and benefit from you experiences
    with MadStad products.
    Thanks again for your help and happy riding.

Sincerely,

Hoss

the MadStad is adjustable but it does take time to find the sweet spot. i believe it took me several weeks of adjusting, trying various angles and heights until i found what worked best.

although it works well i think it is ugly, so i painted the mounting plate and the winglets the same color as my bike. to me this makes the whole thing look better, like it belongs on the bike. with the winglets removed you will get a lot of wind noise, so i keep them on all the time.

here is the way it came from MadStad

and here is how it looks after painting

and finally, after only a week or two my bike fell over, leaving it looking like this

MadStad customer service was first rate. i called and explained what happened and how i was supposed to leave on a trip within a week. they not only made sure i had a replacement windshield in time for my trip but gave me a discount too boot.

My wife swears by the Madstad shield on her bike (2011 F650GS). We took a weekend trip of just shy of 1000 miles and she reported perfection. We did try taking the shields off. She said she was hot because of NO wind on her. They went back on in less than 10 miles. The noise and wind force on her chest were too much. I have only ridden about 100 miles with it and was astounded that a small shield could have that sort of effect. There is definitely a sweet spot.

Love my Madstad...have put it thru some brutal riding and it's not failed...still held it's adjustment and with the wings it's the quietest bike I have ever riden..better than my RT for noise reduction and comfort.
    In the end, you will regret much more those things you didn't do, than those which you did.

hoss
    Thank you for the information and quick response.
    I find a lot of 650 riders prefer this set-up. I
    Am very close to going with Madstads.
    Ride On.
    Hoss

hoss

Madstads

Thank you for the informative, and
    quick response.
    I am definitely considering going with
    This product.
    Thanks again.
    Hoss

Also, unless they have changed their policy, if you don't like the Madstad when you get it you can send it back for a full refund.