Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I like the Schuberth C3, but

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Snell refuses to certify flip-face helmets, so no flip-face helmet can ever be certified by Snell.

I've had mine for two years, and I love it. The foam lining of my prior Shoei Multitec compressed over several years, rendering it eventually too large for my head. The C3 is as snug today as it was the day I bought it at my local BMW dealer.

I ride year-round in Seattle, and the helmet simply won't fog the visor no matter how cold and how wet it gets. The integrated sun visor works brilliantly, and I'll never own another helmet without that feature. Not having to ever mess with sunglasses inside the helmet is priceless!

Despite being festooned with all these features, it's also one of the lightest helmets on the market. If you ride long days, your neck will appreciate the lighter weight at the end of the day.

I've had no issues with buffeting on either my fully-faired RTP or my minimally-faired GSA, and it's been measured by several of the m/c magazines as the quietest helmet on the market. To my knowledge, it's also the only helmet where it's quiet enough inside that earplugs become optional instead of mandatory.

When I need a new helmet, I'll be getting another C3 - unless of course Schuberth has supplanted the C3 with a new model.

As far as long-term ownership costs are concerned, I've found Schuberth customer support to be stellar. When a faceshield retention lever somehow fell out, they quickly sent me several replacement parts at no charge. If you're experiencing premature failures, I'd highly recommend contacting Schuberth North America directly for assistance.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    Snell refuses to certify flip-face helmets, so no flip-face helmet can ever be certified by Snell.
    ??? That is not what it says on the Snell web site. It also doesn't match the fact that the LS2 FF394 and the Zeus 3000 -- both modular helmets -- are Snell M2010 certified.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    I have a C3 that is a liitle over a year old, and the helmet liner is coming apart. I wear a helmet silk, but that didn't seem to help.
    Contact Schuberth in California. They'll replace it. Bet for free too..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Actually - not. The have certified ONE flip-face (about 3-4 years ago.. forget the brand but it wasn't a big name brand. Search WebBikeWorld for details - I believe that's where I read about it. They tested/approved it as an open-face helmet.)

Why don't they do more? The manufacturers of the flip-face helmets haven't submitted and PAID them to do the testing.

That's the hook. In order for them to test a helmet, someone has to pay for the testing. Typically - that's the manufacturer. If the manufacturer sees no marketing gain by paying for the testing, there isn't a lot of incentive to do it. Considering how popular Schuberths are in the US even at a very high price point, I can't imagine why they'd consider paying for Snell testing, especially if Snell is going to test it as an open-face helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Ever considered calling Schuberth and discussing it with them ? I have a C2 that had a problem with the shade not retracting. It was four years old. I called them, they said send it in. They repaired it at no charge, cleaned it up, and sent it back with a new bag.
    I was amazed. I just wish they weren't so expensive.
    Exactly my experience with them on my C2 (same problem actually).. it came back looking like new, new bag, new faceshield, new liner, new sunshield. Cost was me shipping it to them (they paid shipping back.)

They are probably the best company I've ever dealt with, no holds barred.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Actually - not. The have certified ONE flip-face (about 3-4 years ago.. forget the brand but it wasn't a big name brand. Search WebBikeWorld for details - I believe that's where I read about it. They tested/approved it as an open-face helmet.)

Why don't they do more? The manufacturers of the flip-face helmets haven't submitted and PAID them to do the testing.

That's the hook. In order for them to test a helmet, someone has to pay for the testing. Typically - that's the manufacturer. If the manufacturer sees no marketing gain by paying for the testing, there isn't a lot of incentive to do it. Considering how popular Schuberths are in the US even at a very high price point, I can't imagine why they'd consider paying for Snell testing, especially if Snell is going to test it as an open-face helmet.
    I recall an article in MCN where Dave Searle dissects Snell for being a joke of a product evaluation and certification organization. I'm going to have to go through my back issues and find it again.

What I do specifically remember from the article was Searle's observation that Snell's testing policies includes a blanket refusal to test flip-face helmets with the face section down and locked. They'll test 'em with the face portion up, but they won't test 'em with the face portion down - you know - how we wear them when we're riding.

I'm willing to bet that the EU/Germany has far stricter/tougher standards than do our government agencies, and that their standards make our standards look silly by comparison.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

What I do specifically remember from the article was Searle's observation that Snell's testing policies includes a blanket refusal to test flip-face helmets with the face section down and locked. They'll test 'em with the face portion up, but they won't test 'em with the face portion down - you know - how we wear them when we're riding.
    Yet Snell claims the opposite... that modular helmets will be tested to the full face helmet standards, not the 3/4 standard. Here's a quote from http://www.smf.org/docs/headsup/headsup29

The Foundation is ready to accept submissions of flip-up style helmets and will hold them to all the same test requirements set for traditional full face headgear. The chin bar will be tested for rigidity, the face shield must withstand the pellet penetration tests and, of course, the helmet must provide all the impact protection we demand of every full face and open face motorcycle helmet. Drinking coffee and cleaning eyeglasses without removing a helmet is very appealing but the Foundation is not ready to give up any protective capability for the convenience.
    For the record I personally don't care if a helmet I buy has a snell rating. It's not something I look for. My current helmet happens to be snell rated. The helmet before that didn't. I care more about fit, finish, and the size of the eye port. A bigger eye port is better for me. That used to mean using a flip-up. Now the "dual sport" helmets seem to be best for that particular metric.

Mind is not for rent
    Snell did a lot for their credibility when they revised their standards in 2010(?), but it's still not a priority for riding. If I was still racing cars, I would demand a Snell rating.

I ride with a Shuberth C3 but I also have a snell rated helmet for the drag car. NHRA requires it.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

I talked with the Snell folks at the San Mateo Moto show last week and asked about modular helmets. With respect to "Snell refuses to test flip-face helmets" this is false. With respect to the article noted in this thread regarding "Snell's testing policies includes a blanket refusal to test flip-face helmets with the face section down and locked" this too is false. I asked them about their testing methodology, specifically their requirement that a helmet take "multiple blows to the same spot." Snell expects modular helmets to be able to take two succesive blows in one spot and another one at another location without the face section unlatching. Two blows in the same spot seems real life plausible. Finally the Snell person I talked to mentioned that there was one well known modular manufacturer that was close ".....very close" ....to passing their test.*

So with all said and done, I think I'll hold off on the C3 for the reasons noted and the fact that a $700 helmet without Snell certification just seems too high. Plus I would really like to have double D ring option. After all, what's good enough for MotoGP is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Contact Schuberth in California. They'll replace it. Bet for free too..
    I did contact Schuberth and they replaced it with a S2 liner for free. It feels slightly better, but the cheek pads still do not fit correctly under the liner. I am now starting to regret spending $700 for a helmet.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

The best motorcycle I can own is made in Germany.

A large part of what has made Germany the acknowledged leader in the automotive world is the presence of TUV, the regulating body. (And speed limitless autobahns).

A made in Germany and certified in Germany helmet seems pretty good to me.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I used to own the old BMW System II helmet that I have been told was made by Schuberth. I loved that skid lid. Replaced that with a AGV, and that was replaced with a Nolan. The Nolan is a noisey helmet.

My new C3 is very, very tight, but the next size up is to big. Anybody else have this problem?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Here's the NY Times article that lost Dexter Ford his Job at Motorcyclist. I wear a C3 and don't miss for a minute that it's not Snell certified.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/au...agewanted=all&
    Rick Germain
    Rochester, NY USA
    2001 F650GS Dakar
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    My new C3 is very, very tight, but the next size up is to big. Anybody else have this problem?
    Yes.

Back in the day of the first Schuberth helmets (C1?) I was ready to own one based on trying a friend's. Trouble was, his was a direct import from Europe and when these helmets arrived for USA sale with DOT certification they were gigantic in comparison. I'm talking about the shell.

I've managed to import BMW System Helmets ever since and am now wearing a System VI.

Rather than Small/Medium/Large, etc., the system helmets are available in at least 7 different sizes.

I've got my III, IV, and V on display and have apparently buried my I and II somewhere in storage where I can't find them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S