Thread: Instrument Service and Repair

Huskydriver
    Florida, and in the land that time forgot

Question Instrument Service and Repair

I did a forum search and did not find any information on instrument repair providers or feedback (unless I missed it somehow ).

I just bought a '92 R100RT and the faces are a bit hard to read due to the plastic faces. Any ideas or reports on companies that you have used for repairs?

Thanks.

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by huskydriver View Post
    I did a forum search and did not find any information on instrument repair providers or feedback (unless I missed it somehow ).

I just bought a '92 R100RT and the faces are a bit hard to read due to the plastic faces. Any ideas or reports on companies that you have used for repairs?

Thanks.

Clay
    Foreign speedo in san diego seems to have good feedback and has done well since advertising in the airmail. They will probably have experience with your models instruments since they've been working on airheads. I have no idea how much it would be to get it from Florida to San Diego though, may be cost prohibitive.
    '99 R1100S

Overseas speedometer in Texas.they do good work and the prices are fair in my opinion.There is also a guy that goes by the name Wirespokes over in ADV rider.His name is Terry,also highly recommended.

There are several plastic cleaning products that should help. I have used rubbing compound and plexiglass cleaner (it's also an abrasive) to clean plastic lenses. Most auto stores sell lens restoring kits for automotive headlamp covers. The plastic lenses are damaged by ultraviolet light from the sun. My 35 year old (1978) instrument lenses are still clear.

If the instruments are not working or are out of calibration, then you need an instrument repair company. Of course, if you don't feel comfortable using cleaners then there are several instrument repair companies which can help. Good luck!
    Stan

AH# 13238

Speedo repair

Palo Alto is excellent for speedo repair.

Check the Speedometer section of the Resources and Links thread.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Huskydriver
    Florida, and in the land that time forgot

Smile

Thanks for the tips on places to go, and to look. I am picking up the bike today and will need to do a little fuel work on it since it has not been run for a couple of years . After that, hit the road with the GPS and check calibration of the speedo and see what other issues I have .

Thanks again.

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    I went to my friendly BMW dealer and paid 350.oo for a new speedometer with the correct dial face numbers to convert from a 85 mph speedometer to a 140 mph speedmoeter,I just took apart the instrument pod and replaced the unit as a whole.It's nice to know how fast over 85 you are going,in the proper place!
    I gotta ticket in Wisconsin once.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

I've used overseas speedo....fine service.
    2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic